Sport Kickboxing for all ages and skill levels

SPORT

KICKBOXING

TRINITY BLACK

BELT ACADEMY

A CENTRE OF MARTIAL ARTS EXCELLENCE

Suitable for all members of the family; from 4 years to 104 years. Beginners welcome.

Excellent for losing weight and toning up the body.

Increase fitness levels.

Learn Punches, kicks, advance kicks, self defense.

Working on techniques and stamina.

1st introductory lesson FREE!!!

Training: Monday 6.30pm to 7.30 pm @ Dore Primary School

Thursday 6pm to 7pm @Dore Parish Church Hall.

ASK for an info. Pack at Trinityempire@hotmail.com

Two buzz words at the moment:

"self defense"

"kickboxing"

These days everyone calls what they do self defense.

Even taebo and kickaerobics are calling what they do self defense.

Then you find those strange martial arts styles teachign really ineffective self defense moves that wouldnt work on a 12 year old let alone a 15 stone drunkard on speed!

Paul Powers from Self Defence UK right? Ive heard he teaches a very interesting system. Jujitsu&Boxing based i believe.

Kickboxing is another matter, these days every martial arts club and their dog are calling what they do "kickboxing" when you see what theyre actually doing or are capable of doing, then you can see wether or not they deserve to use the name of the hard hitting full contact fighting art that uses the name kickboxing.

The kickboxing club i train at and would recommend to anyone is:

http://www.sheffieldkickboxing.com

A lot of good fighters who are active on the full contact circuit(proper kickboxing!) train there and its also begginer friendly.

Kelly Owls, i hear on the grapevine that paul powers occasionally produces the odd fighter or two.

To know the master, look at the student.

Originally posted by Cyclone

is it accurate to describe this as self defence?

My impression of kickboxing is that it is fairly brutal, you will take some knocks in training and learn how to return blows.

For that reason I reckon it would be fine as 'self defense' if not as pretty/stylinsh as some styles.

Originally posted by Freddylee

"self defense"

"kickboxing"

Then you find those strange martial arts styles teachign really ineffective self defense moves that wouldnt work on a 12 year old let alone a 15 stone drunkard on speed!

Paul Powers from Self Defence UK right? Ive heard he teaches a very interesting system. Jujitsu&Boxing based i believe.

Kickboxing is another matter, these days every martial arts club and their dog are calling what they do "kickboxing" when you see what theyre actually doing or are capable of doing, then you can see wether or not they deserve to use the name of the hard hitting full contact fighting art that uses the name kickboxing.

A lot of good fighters who are active on the full contact circuit(proper kickboxing!) train there and its also begginer friendly.

Kelly Owls, i hear on the grapevine that paul powers occasionally produces the odd fighter or two.

Paul is excellent. He manages these two lads who are being entered for Cage Fighting at the end of July. He's proper tough but has a heart of gold. I really do recommend him.

Originally posted by Freddylee

"self defense"

"kickboxing"

is there an echo in here??

Originally posted by dafoot

My impression of kickboxing is that it is fairly brutal, you will take some knocks in training and learn how to return blows.

For that reason I reckon it would be fine as 'self defense' if not as pretty/stylinsh as some styles.

but how well does that tie in with

Suitable for all members of the family; from 4 years to 104 years. Beginners welcome

will 4 year olds be learning to take it with the octogenarians, if so then call it self defence.

If it's non contact though as is more likely if it's suitable for the entire family, is it more likely to land someone in a situation they can't handle, because they thought they could defend themselves.

You hit the nail on the head cyclone.

Kickboxing is a contact game.

A dojo that teaches what soudns liek a karate/tkd / no contact martial art style:

1. just isnt kickboxing (just using the buzzword)

2. Is unlikely to be "self defense" :P

Archived