Sheffield, Home Of World's Oldest Football Club

Originally posted by MTheo

i ALWAYS type BRAIN instead of BRIAN...how annoying.

former man utd and blackburn defender.

and someone did score for sheffield fc and it was a belter!!!

Aye, top corner, as I've been told a few times...!!

;)

Originally posted by kirky

in 1990 when italy won the world cup the italian leader (not sure if its king or president over there) sent sheffield fc a thousand litres of wine to thank them for inventing the game.

West Germany won the world cup in 1990.....!

:suspect:

• 5 years later...
I have searched the engine and cannot find what I am looking for so maybe somebody could help me.

The worlds oldest football club was based in Sheffield around about 1863/4. In those days there appeared to be a number of sets of rules and Sheffield had their own. The oldest football league club is Notts County and it was a game between Notts c and Sheffield that was the first league match recorded.

What was the name of the Sheffield Club, where was their ground and what's there now and any other information would be appreciated.

Let's get this correct. Sheffield F.C is the world's oldest PROFESSIONAL football club.. There were other football clubs prior to this (1857). A number of clubs (e.g. Sheffield Wednesday) emerged from existing cricket clubs & only took up football as a way to pass the winter months.

Archived