Tory opinion poll lead shrinks from 20% to just 6% in 1 year

It’s pointless to argue the polls show anything as they have not changed on average more than a few points, especially considering the margin for error is higher than the fluctuation.

This election will be fought in the marginal’s, and no poll can predict how they will vote en mass. The only way to get an idea is to listen to people and I hear a whole lot of people saying they will never vote Labour again.

The change in attitude towards Labour on Sheffield Forum is remarkable. Who would have thought that Labour would become so despised in Sheffield?

Even up in Barnsley they are fed up and are voting for the Nazis as an alternative to Labour.

If these polls are to be believed it's the Tories own fault. Guido Fawkes has summed it up well this week with 2 posts:

http://order-order.com/2010/03/06/bingo-bingle/

http://order-order.com/2010/03/07/voters-want-clear-tory-policies/

It's not political rocket science, give people a choice rather than this horrid triangulation and "take the centre ground" waffle. That just leads to bland politicians making watered down policy plans.

The change in attitude towards Labour on Sheffield Forum is remarkable. Who would have thought that Labour would become so despised in Sheffield?

Even up in Barnsley they are fed up and are voting for the Nazis as an alternative to Labour.

When has Sheffield forum ever had a strong Labour group on it? Again another post from you distrorting reality so you can have a go at Labour. Are you really so wealthy that they pose a threat to you?

The only political party that has made its presence felt here has been the BNP, admittedly invariably shooting themselves in the foot or exposing themselves to be nasty bigots, but they are the only party that has made a concerted effort to influence the forum.

Yes people are frustrated with Labour, the Iraq war is one of the primary reasons. The other is Labour's move to the right leaving their normal voters feeling unrepresented. When it comes to a general election they are likely to, and as the polls indicate, return to Labour because they are the least bad option. With any luck after a victory Labour will re-assess its performance and the message of the election result and look at shifting back to the left again, perhaps under a new leader.

Don't mistake SF politics posters to be an indication of Sheffield in general.

This election will be fought in the marginal’s, and no poll can predict how they will vote en mass. The only way to get an idea is to listen to people and I hear a whole lot of people saying they will never vote Labour again.

Ah...but will they vote for New Labour ? ;)

Presumably you'll be voting for the 'new look' Tories ?

I'm don't think I am. I'm detecting lots of bad vibes towards Labour on here and out in the real world from all sorts of ordinary folk. I don't regularly hang out with anyone that I know to be in a political party so that's not it either but the election will be the decider no matter what we discuss here.

The Conservatives are back up to 40% on today's poll.

Labour lost control of the council not too long ago. I think that’s a good indicator on Sheffield's changing opinion of Labour.

If you took away all the "I vote Labour because my parents voted Labour" or the reverse snobs, Sheffield would look a lot different on the political front.

Have you noticed the change in attitude now when Thatcher is mentioned? A couple of years ago and it was just a stream of venom and invective. Now it seems that many people think that she had a point.

Archived