The Iraq Inquiry - another whitewash?

I care and would dearly like to see Tony Blair indicted for what I believe was a cynical deception of Parliament and the country.

Much more important though are the ongoing cares of the families of British service personnel and civilians killed and maimed in Iraq and the families of the Iraqi civilians who suffered the same fate at the hands of British forces in Iraq.

Robin Cook was right. The pity is he is now not able to contribute to this inquiry.

and everything was fine prior to our arival? a real garden of eden. cook was a moral coward

No conspiracy that is simply because of the rules on "purdah" that apply to Civil Servants and Government bodies to prevent interference in electoral processes.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/47392/Purdah_18887-13975__E__N__S__W__.pdf

Of more importance is the fact that Brown hand-picked the members of the inquiry team and also, wanted to keep the inquiry from operating in public. The war is generally regarded as 'Blair's war', but where was Brown between 1997 -2003? As far as we know, he never uttered a word of dissent about Blair's actions on Iraq.

Robin Cook was right. The pity is he is now not able to contribute to this inquiry.

Cook in my view gets a better 'press' than he deserves. He supported, indeed played a key role in, Blair's other wars and I have always suspected that, had not Blair sacked him from the post of Foreign Secretary, he would probably have supported the Iraq intervention as well.

Of more importance is the fact that Brown hand-picked the members of the inquiry team and also, wanted to keep the inquiry from operating in public. The war is generally regarded as 'Blair's war', but where was Brown between 1997 -2003? As far as we know, he never uttered a word of dissent about Blair's actions on Iraq.

The same is true of much of the opposition, who knew like we all did from Hans Blix statement there were no WMDs in Iraq.

Two quotes from yesterdays PMQ's

Before listing my engagements this week, I am sure that the House will wish to join me in paying tribute to Sergeant Robert Loughran-Dickson from the 4th Regiment Royal Military Police who has died in Afghanistan. The debt of gratitude that we owe to him is permanent, and we send our sincere condolences to his family and friends. He, and the sacrifice he has made, will not be forgotten.

He is the 235th member of British forces to die.

As to our activities against terrorism in this country, we have doubled the security staff available to deal with terrorism; we have doubled the number of police who are dealing with potential terrorist incidents; we have put 100 people into prison since 2001 as a result of terrorist acts

A quote from Wikipedia: British Forces casualties in Afghanistan since 2001

For the period 1 January 2006 to 31 August 2009 centrally available records show that:

* 850 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals and categorised as Wounded in Action, including as a result of hostile action.

* 2,014 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals for disease or non-battle injuries.

* 122 UK personnel were categorised as Very Seriously Injured from all causes excluding disease.

* 143 UK personnel were categorised as Seriously Injured from all causes excluding disease.

* 2,531 UK personnel were aeromedically evacuated from Afghanistan on medical grounds, whatever the reason.

Of course it is a whitewash, and the 235th Brit to die is already forgotten by those in government who have only managed to lock up 100 people in the same period.

Archived