I'm from Lowedges and proud!

kaz216

Driving past Lowedges the other day I saw a man walking his child to school, child in one hand cigarette in the other. No doubt he'll be banging on the door of the medical practice wanting to know why his child keeps getting ill.

I'm sure there are some nice people on Lowedges. There are some people though who are sick and tired of having to pay for other people's life choices - those who can't sleep at night because of the police helicopter, those who can't get appointments at the medical centre etc.

Driving past Lowedges the other day I saw a man walking his child to school, child in one hand cigarette in the other. No doubt he'll be banging on the door of the medical practice wanting to know why his child keeps getting ill.

I'm sure there are some nice people on Lowedges. There are some people though who are sick and tired of having to pay for other people's life choices - those who can't sleep at night because of the police helicopter, those who can't get appointments at the medical centre etc.

...and I'm sure that ONLY happens on Lowedges!!

I used to live on Lowedges over 20 years ago.

I have friends who still do.

There are nice people on Lowedges.

There is a massive drug problem on the estate due to druggies moving onto the estate because of the sympathetic doctor on there who is supposed to be the top man in sheffield for druggies.

Taking all this into account, I would not live on there if it free now which it is to the dregs that spoil it for the decent folk.

There is a lot of nice people on Lowedges,but when i saw someone been murded on Lowedges Road, I agree there is a massive drug problem, That was six years ago and I am still not over it.:sad:

...and I'm sure that ONLY happens on Lowedges!!

Course it happens all over the place. But very few council estates are surrounded by the amenities of affluent estates (Greenhill, Bradway, Totley). You can understand why people in these areas don't always have good things to say about Lowedges.

good for the original poster, places like lowedges get a bad reputation from naysayers and quite frankly a lot of it is intolerant snobbery ('i saw a parent SMOKING!!!!!!!!!') or urban mythery ('my friends wifes sisters cleaner says someone got murdered by DRUGs there')

I also live in an area which gets a bad rep, and it makes me laugh when i tell people where i live and watch them try to think of something polite to say whilst supressing what they perhaps really think!

So good for you!

I lived there as a nipper and I loved it,mainly sentiment I suppose as I've enjoyed ninety per cent of my time on earth.

My fave memories are:

The smell of the council detergent/disinfectant around the rubbish chutes at the end of our landing on the maisonettes at Gervase.

The very fact that I lived "in the sky" and had a balcony.:hihi:

Being able to see "Dennis and Merryweather" only a couple of hundred yards walk from my house.

The view of the steeple at greenhill from my bedroom window.

3 or 4 really good neighbours whose living rooms were practically interchangeable,any kid could be found in any living room at any time apart from bedtime.

Everyone from our block playing football on the grass every sunday before dinner.

I know it's wasn't Malibu but it was home and I loved it at the time.

I couldn't care less about an area's reputation, I live in Parson X for God's sake! :hihi: I've lived here since I was 6 years old and I've always liked it. But the 3 years I spent in Lowedges really didn't agree with me... Maybe I was just longing to get back on't X :)

Course it happens all over the place. But very few council estates are surrounded by the amenities of affluent estates (Greenhill, Bradway, Totley). You can understand why people in these areas don't always have good things to say about Lowedges.

And there are many council properties on the affluent estates you have mentioned.

Lowedges isn't that bad and there are a lort of hard working individuals on the estate as there are on most council estates.

Im a parent who smokes and I was brought up in Norton Lees, my mother is also a smoker. Im unsure why that would make me or her a bad parent. Yes smoking is a filthy habit but it does not influence my parenting.

Its not because its a social housing estate why Lowedges has a bad reputation. There are many social housing estates in Sheffield that are thriving with good community spirit :D. Unfortunately for me, I had numerous bad experiences with living in Lowedges. I'm deeply sorry to say this but when racial comments are shouted at you then all you want to do is to leave the area. I now live on a really good multi-cultural estate and my neighbours are fantastic:clap::thumbsup:

good for the original poster, places like lowedges get a bad reputation from naysayers and quite frankly a lot of it is intolerant snobbery ('i saw a parent SMOKING!!!!!!!!!')

So you think a parent blowing smoke into their child is acceptable? A strange comment from someone in your position.

It's not snobbery. Because it's those adults and children that take up valuable doctor time. It's those children who require the extra support in schools. Why should others suffer from someone's life choice?

Archived