I'm from Lowedges and proud!

kaz216

Iv heard enough of this crap about Lowedges now.. I lived all my childhood on Gresley rd and for me it was the best place on the earth to be.. Big park, massive golf course and farmers fields on your doorstep ?? What more do you want ?? Apart from the scum that is being imported to the area by the council ratings scheme... ***sers..

There is a massive drug problem on the estate due to druggies moving onto the estate because of the sympathetic doctor on there who is supposed to be the top man in sheffield for druggies.

Sympathetic doctor? What on earth are you talking about?

Driving past Lowedges the other day I saw a man walking his child to school, child in one hand cigarette in the other. No doubt he'll be banging on the door of the medical practice wanting to know why his child keeps getting ill.

Are you suggesting this sort of thing only happens at Lowedges?

Usually the people with the most vitriolic opinions of Lowedges tend be those who know the least about the place. Talk of junkies ruining the estate is very fashionable, but simply not true. I don't doubt that they exist, but there is scant evidence of them in the street (in fact I've never, ever seen any leftover drug paraphernalia at all - anyone expecting gang wars and drug cartels will be disappointed). Of course, there are the obligatory local youths hanging around the Co-op like there is almost anywhere else, and while some may find them intimidating they are seldom cause for alarm. There may well be plenty wrong with the estate, but very little that would actually encroach on your life.

What I find great about the part I live is how almost everyone seems to know each other. It’s a cliché, but there really is a community spirit; something I rarely saw during my years living around Ecclesall Road. And with Graves Park, the Peak District and Derbyshire all within walking distance, a huge park and decent transport links to Sheffield centre and Chesterfield, Lowedges really isn't all that bad.

Sympathetic doctor? What on earth are you talking about?

Are you suggesting this sort of thing only happens at Lowedges?

Usually the people with the most vitriolic opinions of Lowedges tend be those who know the least about the place. Talk of junkies ruining the estate is very fashionable, but simply not true. I don't doubt that they exist, but there is scant evidence of them in the street (in fact I've never, ever seen any leftover drug paraphernalia at all - anyone expecting gang wars and drug cartels will be disappointed). Of course, there are the obligatory local youths hanging around the Co-op like there is almost anywhere else, and while some may find them intimidating they are seldom cause for alarm. There may well be plenty wrong with the estate, but very little that would actually encroach on your life.

What I find great about the part I live is how almost everyone seems to know each other. It’s a cliché, but there really is a community spirit; something I rarely saw during my years living around Ecclesall Road. And with Graves Park, the Peak District and Derbyshire all within walking distance, a huge park and decent transport links to Sheffield centre and Chesterfield, Lowedges really isn't all that bad.

Druggies from all over sheffield have moved onto the lowedges estate because of the doctor on lowedges who is supposed to be the top man for their problems in the city. Also druggies off jordanthorpe and batemoor are registered at lowedges surgery for the sole reason of seeing this doctor.

This has contributed massively to the problems on Lowedges which have given it the reputation it has now.

I live near the greenhill roundabout on greenhill parkway and i really like it here. I think the worst part of Lowedges is Past atlantic etc near the terminus.

I like my Neighbours and the shops and the school.

Not a problem. There is trouble in every area no matter how big or small.... It is never going to end.

The only places that are really nice are the areas for the rich like whirlow etc.

People should be gratefull they have somewhere to live without slagging it off...

Course it happens all over the place. But very few council estates are surrounded by the amenities of affluent estates (Greenhill, Bradway, Totley). You can understand why people in these areas don't always have good things to say about Lowedges.

I doubt they have owt good to say about Netherthorpe, Burngreave or the Manor either!

Druggies from all over sheffield have moved onto the lowedges estate because of the doctor on lowedges who is supposed to be the top man for their problems in the city. Also druggies off jordanthorpe and batemoor are registered at lowedges surgery for the sole reason of seeing this doctor.

This has contributed massively to the problems on Lowedges which have given it the reputation it has now.

Show me the evidence to support this please. Or is it just hearsay?

One of the GP's operates a methadone programme. I am not sure if the others do as there is more than one surgery on the estate. I also think it is wrong to assume that all people on this programme are about to mug you or rob your property. I always feel safe. There probably isn't enough for young people to do and that leads to groups hanging around usually where there is light...outside the shops, this happens at Greenhill too!!! And probably up and down the country....

The important thing is that we make other people aware that it is an ok place to live

One of the GP's operates a methadone programme. I am not sure if the others do as there is more than one surgery on the estate. I also think it is wrong to assume that all people on this programme are about to mug you or rob your property. I always feel safe. There probably isn't enough for young people to do and that leads to groups hanging around usually where there is light...outside the shops, this happens at Greenhill too!!! And probably up and down the country....

The important thing is that we make other people aware that it is an ok place to live

Show me the evidence to support this please. Or is it just hearsay?

Ok?

And you're correct not all people on methadone are bad, but it does attract dealers who know when they collect it and take it off them for their drug debts.

One of the GP's operates a methadone programme...

At alex3659: So we've established there is a methadone program, like there are at many other surgeries. But that is not evidence to support:

Druggies from all over sheffield have moved onto the lowedges estate.

And even if that were true, as someone who currently lives there I can say without hesitation that users of this drug treatment program have zero impact on my life. Besides, such programs should be applauded, not used as a means of stigmatising an area.

Like many other areas in Sheffield, Lowedges used to be a good place to live, now it is not. How many people who live in Lowedges now would stay there if they had enough money to move away?

The good people who live there, on the whole, continue to live there through entrapment.

Me. I lived around Ecclesall Road and Sharrowvale Road for 6 years and moved to Lowedges because I eventually came to realise paying £300 per month to rent a room in a student house made little sense when I could pay the same amount for a 3 bedroom house of my own. Although I have long term ambitions of moving to another city, this is to do with my career aspirations and not some bizarre need to live in an area that meets with the approval of a few Sheffield Forum members who have little idea of what they are talking about.

Archived