I'm from Lowedges and proud!

kaz216

I am sick of people slagging off Lowedges. Yes it is a social housing estate and not without it's problems but many families have lived here for years and are into their 3rd and some 4th generation. There is a strong sense of community and I know all of my neighbours in my cul-de-sac, we all speak to each other and there is no trouble. Last year I organised a fund raising night at our local pub for Breast Cancer care and raised over £1000. People dug deep into pockets that aren't overflowing with extra cash. I like living here and I chose to live here and so have many more people.

If I worried about people slagging me off, I'd be a mental wreck by now! I don't worry, and I'm not a mental wreck. You also sound like a strong character kaz216. Keep it up, you may go as far as I have. Tip from the top, Don't brag about charity donations.

I hope this is not too off topic, but proposed toxic incinerator in Dronfield is only a few miles away, and will therefore affect all people living in this area. Time is running out to express your views.

There are 3 public meetings in the next week which will provide information for anyone worried about the proposal for an incinerator just a few miles from south Sheffield. The meetings will also provide further information for campaigning against the incinerator:

Saturday 28th November, 9.30 - 11.30, Eckington Civic Centre Hall, Market Street, Eckington.

Monday 30th November 19.30 – 21.00 – St Andrew’s Church, Pentland Road, Dronfield Woodhouse – presentation to raise awareness of the proposal.

Saturday 5th December 13.00 – 16.00 – Coal Aston Village Hall, Eckington Road, Coal Aston – drop in session to raise awareness.

For further information please see:

http://www.againstincineration.org.uk/

There is also an extenstive thread on the Sheffield Forum.

Good on you Kaz216. As a resident of Pitsmoor I know how tiresome it is when people keep slagging off your area when they don't really know it. I really believe that the more pride people have in their area, the better it will get.

I used to live on Lowedges over 20 years ago.

I have friends who still do.

There are nice people on Lowedges.

There is a massive drug problem on the estate due to druggies moving onto the estate because of the sympathetic doctor on there who is supposed to be the top man in sheffield for druggies.

Taking all this into account, I would not live on there if it free now which it is to the dregs that spoil it for the decent folk.

I'm not sure you've got your facts entirely straight. The Naltrexone Centre appears to be a private clinic, certainly not an NHS service. So it wouldn't appear to be the case that you would need to live in Lowedges to access the service - that would only be the case if it was provided through a GP practice. As their site says

Our patient base encompasses the United Kingdom and Europe
so it clearly is unnecessary to move to Lowedges to use this service (for those who can afford it).

There are 2 NHS prescribing substance misuse services in Sheffield, and neither of them are in Lowedges. Both offer services to people all over Sheffield, and it is therefore unnecessary to live near them to be eligible for their services.

I'm not sure you've got your facts entirely straight. The Naltrexone Centre appears to be a private clinic, certainly not an NHS service. So it wouldn't appear to be the case that you would need to live in Lowedges to access the service - that would only be the case if it was provided through a GP practice. As their site says so it clearly is unnecessary to move to Lowedges to use this service (for those who can afford it).

There are 2 NHS prescribing substance misuse services in Sheffield, and neither of them are in Lowedges. Both offer services to people all over Sheffield, and it is therefore unnecessary to live near them to be eligible for their services.

Brilliantly said! mind you, let's not let facts get in the way of a rant, eh!

Brilliantly said! mind you, let's not let facts get in the way of a rant, eh!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

As far as I can gather he rather haphazardly prescribed methodone to anyone who wanted it.

Does "as far as I can gather" mean you can quote from a reputable source, or does it indicate something you would like to believe?

I'm not sure you've got your facts entirely straight. The Naltrexone Centre appears to be a private clinic, certainly not an NHS service. So it wouldn't appear to be the case that you would need to live in Lowedges to access the service - that would only be the case if it was provided through a GP practice. As their site says so it clearly is unnecessary to move to Lowedges to use this service (for those who can afford it).

Not speaking at all about the Naltrexone centre, I am refering to the gp who many ex heroin addicts I know go to because they get better treatment from him. of these people only 2 to my knowledge actually lived on the estate before their addiction, some live on jordanthorpe and batemoor and some have moved onto lowedges. He is supposed to be the leading expert on the problem. Either way it attracts more addicts to the area.

A lot of people have been destroyed by the heroin plague, anyone who has kicked the habit deserves credit because it is not easy.

I have never taken any illegal drugs myself but I have seen the devastation it causes and the effect it can have on areas all over the country, a nice desirable area to live in can soon become a problem area when the drug culture sets in.

Archived