More tea Vicar?

Texas

A few years ago my next door neighbours went somewhere in the south of France, on holiday. They brought me back a pint mug. It was shoved in the back of the kitchen cupboard with a load of other crockery.

Recently I dug it out and started using it and I thought, I'm carrying on a tradition here.

When I was a kid I'd go around to a mates and there would be the head of the household, with his big pint mug of tea. Seems like all the grown ups drank their tea out of these pint mugs, some were commemorative with pictures of King George or somebody on them, the majority were just plain white, but everybody had one. Real tea-bellies in those days.

Even my dad used one, but he was always different so he drank his beer out of it (he didn't drink tea, only coffee). I must admit I haven't seen them used much for years, are they still obtainable and do people still use them, or have they gone out of favor?

My late brother in law used to have a pint-pot mug.

He insisted it was never scrubbed out, and it had an amazing patina on the inside, from the tannin stains. (yuck!)

I scrubbed it clean one day, and he went bananas about it, said "it ruined the flavour!" lol

He reckoned it took him an age to get back to the level it was before I scrubbed it clean. oops!

He's got a point tha knows, it's like a good teapot. The Chinese have the same thing with Woks, it's called something like "Wu Wei" which means "the personality of the pot" A good well seasoned wok should never be scrubbed clean because over the years it adds its own flavour to the food cooked in it.

He's got a point tha knows, it's like a good teapot. The Chinese have the same thing with Woks, they call it "Wu Wei" which translates as "the personality of the pot" A good well seasoned wok should never be scrubbed clean because over the years it adds its own flavour to the food cooked in it.

The best Yorkshire puddings I have ever eaten were the ones from my grandma's old pudding tins...

They were never washed, (wesh'd?) and there was a build up on the tins that they had acquired, over the years, but her puddings always turned out :thumbsup: and tasted fab. Oh, and they never stuck, either!

The best Yorkshire puddings I have ever eaten were the ones from my grandma's old pudding tins...

They were never washed, (wesh'd?) and there was a build up on the tins that they had acquired, over the years, but her puddings always turned out :thumbsup: and tasted fab. Oh, and they never stuck, either!

Our lass is the same. I once (foolishly) used her best pudding tin to catch the old oil during a car oil change, I thought it was an old one and I threw it away afterwards, she dint speak to me for a week!

I've got a big'en.......mug that is.:hihi:

It's one of them modern thermos thingy's that keeps tea warm to last drop.

Wouldn't be without it.

Plaintalkers memories of Grans puddings brings back memories of my Grans...cooked in the oven of the "Yorkshire Range".

And the home cooked bread.....I can smell it now.

Our lass is the same. I once (foolishly) used her best pudding tin to catch the old oil during a car oil change, I thought it was an old one and I threw it away afterwards, she dint speak to me for a week!

I am the same with my pudding tays too, never wash them :)

Archived