Memories of Roger Moffat, Radio Hallam Presenter, 1974 onwards.

I remember him once breaking his arm because he was running for a bus in pond st.He looked at the big clock which used to be on the top platform nearest roxys.The clock wasent working at the time but he ran thinking his bus was due out,slipped broke his arm,and did he have plenty to say about that...It was...Get that clock fixed or take the bu**er down....It was fixed within 2 days..RIP Rog.

He always made me giggle with his comments about the mobile library. He had to read out the timetable and route and many times it was broken down. He used to rant that it was out of service more than in, and that it should more properly be called the immobile library.

For such a clever, witty and ascerbic man it was awful the state he ended up in. Very sad. :(

not sure when he died but I went to his funeral service somewhere off West street.

remembr him goin on about "royal ackenthorpe"

and he got put in hostpital for sayin "the best thing Elvis ever did was die". i think some old woman attacked him on a bus.

he was one of those larger than life characters. tried not to miss any off his radio shows.

He was hilarious, he said that when Elvis died he should be stuffed and mounted and put in a cage in the corner and got attacked by some women in Canns on Chapel walk and finished up with a broken arm. He got sacked from BBC radio for suggesting the director generals wife slipped the driving examiner some money to pass her test:hihi::hihi:

I remember him turning out in a charity feetball game at Millmoor, he had cadged boots on ordinary ankle socks, sparrow legs, his jacket on under his shirt which contained his fags and lighter which he lit up a couple of times until the ref and Ray Stewart who kicked the ball at him a couple of times had had enough and he got sent off, the referee was boo'ed for the remainder of the match. But also very funny.

Actually, Roger had Parkinson;s,people often thought he was drunk when he wasn't because of his mumbling and unsteady walk. Not to say he didn't drink, he did, in copious quantities, when he was unable to get to an offlicence, he would phone his favourite taxi firm, get them to go and pick a bottle of whisky up for him

Archived