Why do disabled badge holders get free parking?

Originally posted by Rich

The reason we aren't working is that for all the Government's bleating about equal opportunities and all that crap, what employer is going to give a disabled person a job when it's cheaper for them to employ an able bodied person as they wouldn't have to make any changes to their premises to service a wheelchair user for example.. :loopy:

And don't even get me started on how much I think the job centre system is designed to be against disabled clients.. :rant:

Rich, Have a day off mate... In my opinion what you have posted above is utter crap (if you pardon the expression)

Employers don't have the luxury of saying able bodies is all we can employ so scrap that image you have for a start, I think their reasons for non employment would have to be a little more reasonable than that!

In the all the jobs I've had I have never come across a place that doesn't have a disabled worker in their employment.

Job centres are designed to help everyone, regardless of whether you have all your limbs or not :roll:

If you feel your being harshly dealt with Rich then go to the appropriate people, don't moan about it.. DO SOMETHING!

Originally posted by Deejay

Rich, Have a day off mate... In my opinion what you have posted above is utter crap (if you pardon the expression)

Employers don't have the luxury of saying able bodies is all we can employ so scrap that image you have for a start, I think their reasons for non employment would have to be a little more reasonable than that!

In the all the jobs I've had I have never come across a place that doesn't have a disabled worker in their employment.

Job centres are designed to help everyone, regardless of whether you have all your limbs or not :roll:

If you feel your being harshly dealt with Rich then go to the appropriate people, don't moan about it.. DO SOMETHING!

Correct, Large companies must have a certain percent of disabled people. Also a company can recieve a grant to make there building wheelchair accessable if they can prove they cant afford it

It wouldn't be QUITE so bad if it wasn't for the fact that getting benefits off the DSS is like pulling teeth what with all the needlessly complicated forms and retarded red tape we have to contend with.

I undertand what your on about here, about 2years ago they lowered my DLA from the higher rate to the lower rate. This was stupid because nothing has changed apart from my joint getting a little worse. So we appealed and when it got to court the judge came you to me and said "We have no idea why they have done this, we can all see its wrong so we have already decided to make them change it back"

The DSS are stupid and make us fill in forms which are the same as orms we have already filled in. What a waste of time and money

________

FriskyRose

I know this isn't really the right place for this post but feel the need to pointout that yes, mother and baby spaces are just as necessary as disabled spaces if used correctly. Imagine you have a 4 week old baby who has to travel in a special car seat. Now try getting this car seat in and out of the car in most of the usual-sized spaces - its impossible!!

I've been in situations such as in Meadowhall where I've parked with yeloow hatching next to me (i.e. in a normal end-space) and come back to find some idiot parked right up against my car leaving enough space to get myself in but not the baby seat. What am I supposed to do in this situation. I can hardly leave the baby on its own while I reverse the car out.

personally I think we should all be more considerate of each other and think whether we need these spaces before using them. I am not disabled therefore I would never consider using a disabled space but can see why a disabled person would need one, and can also see why they get free parking. Howeverf I also see the need for M+B spaces too. However a child over toddler-age really doesn't need to be using them.

Originally posted by karen2388

I know this isn't really the right place for this post but feel the need to pointout that yes, mother and baby spaces are just as necessary as disabled spaces if used correctly. Imagine you have a 4 week old baby who has to travel in a special car seat. Now try getting this car seat in and out of the car in most of the usual-sized spaces - its impossible!!

I've been in situations such as in Meadowhall where I've parked with yeloow hatching next to me (i.e. in a normal end-space) and come back to find some idiot parked right up against my car leaving enough space to get myself in but not the baby seat. What am I supposed to do in this situation. I can hardly leave the baby on its own while I reverse the car out.

personally I think we should all be more considerate of each other and think whether we need these spaces before using them. I am not disabled therefore I would never consider using a disabled space but can see why a disabled person would need one, and can also see why they get free parking. Howeverf I also see the need for M+B spaces too. However a child over toddler-age really doesn't need to be using them.

Isn't the root problem here, regarding Mother and Baby spaces that if the space sizes hadn't been squashed to the bare minimum over the years there would be no need for special spaces?

Hi serapis

Yes, size does seem to be the major issue. In fact most of the other mums I know agree that being close to the shop isn't that important although it is convenient when you have a newborn and its freezing outside (they can't control their temperature very well for those who don't know so need to avoid extreme temperatures). I would happily park miles away from a shop if I knew I would be able to get into my car easily when i got back to it. Unfortuantely everfy time I've done this people choose to park right next to me - completely empty area with my car and 2 others parked up right next to it!!

I thinnk if we had bigger car spaces people probably wouldn't abuse the disabled and M+B sapces either. From what I can see lots of people use them to stop their cars getting clonked by people who have no respect for other cars.

Firstly, the quota system (which I believe used to be 2%) no longer exists for employers to employ people with disabilities.

Since the DDA came into force the focus is on making it illegal for any employer to discriminate against a person with a disability if the discrimination is related to the disability.

Employers have a duty to make 'reasonable adjustments' and it is up to employment tribunals to decide what is 'reasonable' if an individual feels the employer is not doing this and no amount of advising has helped.

One of the things that could be classed as a 'reasonable adjustment' is granting a person with a disability a permanent parking space (if the employer has its own parking).

As for why blue badge holders get free parking, I don't really see why this should be the case, other than the fact that they are much less likely to be in paid employment - but then to be fair, should we make all parking fees means tested? I think not.

Using public transport is much more difficult for people whith disabilities and that is partly why we have the blue badge system - so that people can get out and about. In order to obtain a blue badge a person must prove they need it because of mobility/access difficulties - hence why the allocated spaces are closest to shops/facilities etc.

Many people with disabilities do not qualify for a blue badge, only a very small minority. There may be abuse of the system - there is abuse of every system - but from what I observe, they are isolated cases. You are much more likely to see able bodied people without blue badges parking in disabled spaces than someone using a blue badge who does not need it. Remember appearances can be very deceptive. Just because someone 'appears' ok to you, does not mean they don't suffer extreme pain and other difficulties, all of which are not visible to the passer by. A little more tolerance in today's society would not go amiss.

Rich - the Government is as poor at equal opportunities and employing/retaining people with disabilities as most employers. Many of them cannot see beyond the end of their own noses and think they know what individuals can and cannot do just by looking at them. It is total ignorance that means many people with disabilities get overlooked for jobs which they could do.

If the Civil Service Departments responsible for helping people with Disabilities into work are unable to practice what they preach, the I really wouldn't hold your breath for other employers to follow. Though it tends to be a matter of 'do as I say not do as I do' as far as the Civil Service is concerned.

I wrote to the company who were advertised for getting Blue badges even if you're not disabled and got this message:

Dear Charlotte,

Thanks for your message!

I'm sorry you feel this way. I assure you we are an honest company. Our

guide simply tries to inform people that are entitled to get the blue

badges on how to get them easier.

Take care and thanks for writing,

Alan, myHelpHub.com

So now I am slightly confused as it did say on the advert, get a blue badge even if you're not disabled, so just thought I'd let you know!

Lottie

When I left school in the early 70s ,I went for a dozen or so jobs & as soon as I told them I was disabled,the job had gone,whatever happens employers are going to employ a AB before a disabled person,no matter what the law say's.Been there done it.

Not sure if this is slightly off topic, but my mother in law who is 82 fell and broke her leg, resulting in a partial hip replacement. She was on sticks for 6 months, and my wife and I drove her everywhere, but she couldn't get a badge because the disability wasn't permanent. This meant that say we took her to the supermarket, if there was only one of us with her, we had to drop her at the entrance then find a space and come back to meet her. Meantime she was left standing on her sticks. It would have been really helpful if she could have got a badge valid for a few months.

Archived