Do I have a right to see a dermatologist?

I had terrible acne through my late teens, and excessive skin oil production - large cysts that covered my face, neck, back, chest and upper legs. I was referred to a dermatologist and put on Roaccutane - and it worked wonders. This tends to be a last resort treatment due to the side effects as mentioned above, which can be very serious.

Today my skin is very very good (am now 31), very smooth and luckily little to no scarring. I still have to keep ontop of a good skin care regime which is to not over wash (which can be tempting), don't use harsh cleansers (though mild exfoliants can be beneficial) and the use of a good, oil free moisturizer. Topical preperations overnight can help too.

As also mentioned, I would discuss options with your doctor further. Some antibiotics suit people better than others, and ones such as minocyline have anti inflammotary properties too. Also ibuprofen can reduce inflammaton in the big angry spots.

Yes! Ask to be referred to Mr Messenger at the RHH if he still works there. I had acne from age 12 to 37 and nothing got rid of it. He put me on a 6 month course of Roacutane and I was completely cured. The side effects are very odd and some people find them hard to cope with but I was willing to put up with anything for a result. You need to have blood tests to ensure you have good liver function and a low cholesteral as it's basically a huge dose of vitamin A. I found that I couldn't see in the dark at all, my lips were so dry they sort of peeled off, my eczema got worse (only during the treatment),I became very absent minded (setting out on journeys and forgetting where I was going by the end of the drive) and other weird stuff like forgetting how to get to places. You can't go on it if you're at all depressed as it can make you suicidal. I was so happy with the speed of the result that the side-effects were irrelevant to me and they wore off after the treatment stopped. My daughter has unfortunately inherited my skin and if her acne looks like it will persist indefinitely like mine, I would be happy to request this treatment for her.

My son was only 14 when he was started on Roaccutane and the decision to allow him to have the medication was a difficult one when the side effects were explained - cracked and sore lips and mucous membranes, liver damage, itching, joint pain, bowel inflammation, chest pain, reduced night vision, lack of concentration, depression with possible suicidal tendencies, headache, hair loss, vomiting - the list of side effects are endless but he was so desperate to have the acne improved that I decided that the benefits were worth the risks.

• 7 months later...

I have been referred by my GP to a Dermatologist, with the hope of getting prescribed Roaccutane, tbh I've tried so many other gels and pills and i'm 31 now, having had it since about 14. I don't know what i'll do if I don't get the chance to see if it will work.

Probably cry!

Definitely ask to be referred. GP's are reluctant to do this as it costs them but you are perfectly entitled to request this especially as this has been going on for so long. If they won't help them then send in a complaint to Sheffield PCT. Hope things get better for you

Hi, you have the right to request a referral. I had really bad skin until my early 30's then discovered Dermalogica products.Might not be the answer for you but it is the only thing that worked for me. Seems expensive but lasts for ages. Not available on prescription though.

It has been mentioned already in this thread but the waiting lists are very, very long. My husband goes to the NGH for psoriasis but has to wait a few months for an appointment. The last time he was due to go he was called to say that the appointment had to be cancelled due to being short staffed and the next available appointment was another two months away.

If you don't mind travelling then Rotherham GH have shorter waiting lists.

Archived