Trick or treat, Penny for the guy and carol singers

Originally posted by John

Do you tip these kids?

If so, how much.

Or do ignore them by not answering the door?

If we ever join Euro, what will the penny for the guy be called?

I do not encourage little children to go begging by knocking on everybodys door especially on dark nights and their parents should be ashamed of themselves by allowing it, knowing of the dangers of pedophiles and sexual perverts.

one of my pals offered these kids £1 each if he could volley the guy they had 'made' up and down the local shops.

They agreed, but there friend inside the guy costume didn't seem to like the idea, as he got up and ran off. We knew someone was in the costume, we just wanted to see how far they would go.

Don't think they made any money for the rest of that day on those shops.

So funny!

Trick or treating is has it's roots in britian guys! Sorry. The yanks have gone and twisted it - the superstitions were probably taken over there by Irish immigrants. One of it's sources is from Scorland.

In Scottland "Guising" is a different matter, this is an old tradition, (now under threat cos of the trick/treat idea)they used to go around as fetches (ghosts) goblins, brownies and fairies and other night/deep woodland creatures of highland myth. They visited for treats, as it was thought to be kind to these representations brought good luck, but they didn't 'trick' if they were turned away, that was left to the fairies and brownies later in the deep dark of winter.

Another is alleged to be assiociated with devils night (30th October). There were said to be "dark days" around the time, when the veil between the worlds was thinner and it was considered chancy to be abroad at nights. Souls were taken as prey by the cailleach, who strode mountains, half old woman, sometimes half beautiful young girl, recognisable by her horned hooves, and babes born then were bound about by charms and luckings, to protect them from the wights who rode the night winds looking for vulnerable souls.

Rowan twigs were hung from doorways and thresholds to protect the homes from "the devil" (aka horned god) who would knock the doors asking for succour for the night. If you folowed old ways, you`d leave food and drink on the doorstep for him, if you were christian you`d hide til morning, if you were plain daft you`d open the door and invite him in..... when he`d eat at your table then leave with the weakest soul in the room!

Carol singing - it would be nice to get kids who would actually sing more than one vrese of "we wish you a merry christmas".

Penny for the guy!! I generally don't give kids a penny or a pound or anything in between cos most haven't even bothered to make one properly. They are just plain money grabbing. I got asked over a month ago for a penny??? :o

Moon

I'd never heard of 'penny for the guy' before I came to Sheffield, it must be a local thing. I generally don't give them anything, but if they pester me enough I'll give them a few coppers just to shut them up. Pesky kids!! :twisted:

Originally posted by Mo

Oct 31 will be a busy time for you Moon will it? :D

yes it will :D

Samhuin (pronounced soween) is the end of our year so we have a big celebration with friends and loved ones remembering those that have left us over the years! There are a few things happening in Sheff this year but I haven't made my mind up how we are doing thing.

Moon

We don't get kids in the pub (thankfully!) so I usually get out of it. I used to give the kids sweets (or if I couldn't be bothered, I'd go out and take the car with me!!!)

Carol singing - I agree, the kids MUST sing songs to get money (small amount - bah humbug) or I just ignore them and pretend not to be in, depends on the mood or what I'm doing. If I'm in the Xmas spirit I fling the door open and smile warmly at them and conduct them on my doorstep......have you noticed how, the minute you open the door, they stop and stick out their hands awaiting payment!!! I make them carry on singing.

Penny for the Guy. This is purely begging with no effort, and most kids latch on to others to do it. Some don't even have a guy and still come knocking and asking for cash. At the risk of sounding sexist, I've noticed that it's only young lads that do this. I've seriously never seen a girl do penny for the guy. Halloween and Carol singing can be either sex. And before you start having a go at me about being sexist, I'm only making an observation about what I've noticed in my own experience of opening the door or being collared outside the corner shop.

Perhaps building bonfires and stuffing clothes with straw is more of a male occupation.....

Originally posted by Classic Rock

We don't get kids in the pub (thankfully!) so I usually get out of it. I used to give the kids sweets (or if I couldn't be bothered, I'd go out and take the car with me!!!)

Carol singing - I agree, the kids MUST sing songs to get money (small amount - bah humbug) or I just ignore them and pretend not to be in, depends on the mood or what I'm doing. If I'm in the Xmas spirit I fling the door open and smile warmly at them and conduct them on my doorstep......have you noticed how, the minute you open the door, they stop and stick out their hands awaiting payment!!! I make them carry on singing.

Penny for the Guy. This is purely begging with no effort, and most kids latch on to others to do it. Some don't even have a guy and still come knocking and asking for cash. At the risk of sounding sexist, I've noticed that it's only young lads that do this. I've seriously never seen a girl do penny for the guy. Halloween and Carol singing can be either sex. And before you start having a go at me about being sexist, I'm only making an observation about what I've noticed in my own experience of opening the door or being collared outside the corner shop.

Perhaps building bonfires and stuffing clothes with straw is more of a male occupation.....

I've seen loads of girls doing it. Especially near the Bramall Lane petrol station.

Originally posted by Mo

Funke88 how nasty can people get. I would have thought that was attempted murder or perhaps you were joking.

No sorry, I'm being deadly serious. I wish I was joking :(

However, we live in a nice neighbourhood and the kids around here are great. They dress up and all the houses decorate with pumpkins and orange lights. Some people also put cobwebs and and skeletons dangling in their trees. Parents usually walk their kids around the streets. Kids never go around on their own. I look before I open the door also. If its a bunch of teenagers I'm usually extra nice. I might get my house covered in rolls of toilet paper and dog poop through the letter box. Its a cut throat business. All good fun but I never give out anything homemade. Parents will only throw it out for fear of kids getting poisoned!!!Can't blame them for being careful. Money is never ever given. Only treats. I love the parents that bring babies dressed as little pumpkins and fairies. Ahhhh. I usually dress up as a gypsy fortune teller with a long black wig and lots of dangly jewelery. You know my usual Friday night garb!!

I'll let you know if I hear of any horror stories. I will keep my ginger tom cat in for a week before that night. They do nasty things to cats too on Halloween.

There are some sick fu**ers out there I'm telling you. :evil:

Archived