Does anyone know what is happening to the Punch Bowl at Crookes?

Guest makapaka

Reopening before Xmas as a student-orientated foody pub. Apparently.

Because we need another student-orientated pub don't we?

I went in a couple of weeks ago and it was full, seemed a mixed clientele but wasn't really my thing as it was wall to wall Sky TV and football.

has the landlord taken a another pub then .what a shame..?

Thanks for that jennyren its nice to know we will be missed Tracy(The Manager) my wife has been asked to leave after clearing up the pub of all the undesirables that used to go in making it a nice atmosphere to go in and have a good time.:banana::banana: as we are as the company say that own the Punchbowl are not the right people to run the pub after two and a half years there of building up the trade there.:huh:

Sadly it is being turned in to a bar-diner getting rid of what I call a proper pub:loopy:

At the moment we are not in another pub but we are still living in the area and will be back in another pub sooner than later to the Punchbowls owners loss.

I have always said if its not broke dont try and mend it but will a food pub work in Crookes? with all the Indian, Chinese, Italian, Spanish restaurants oh and the numerous chip shops and pizza parlours (Pisa Pizza) one of the best in Sheffield

Thanks for that jennyren its nice to know we will be missed Tracy(The Manager) my wife has been asked to leave after clearing up the pub of all the undesirables that used to go in making it a nice atmosphere to go in and have a good time.:banana::banana: as we are as the company say that own the Punchbowl are not the right people to run the pub after two and a half years there of building up the trade there.:huh:

Sadly it is being turned in to a bar-diner getting rid of what I call a proper pub:loopy:

At the moment we are not in another pub but we are still living in the area and will be back in another pub sooner than later to the Punchbowls owners loss.

I have always said if its not broke dont try and mend it but will a food pub work in Crookes? with all the Indian, Chinese, Italian, Spanish restaurants oh and the numerous chip shops and pizza parlours (Pisa Pizza) one of the best in Sheffield

i always saw the punchbowl as a drinkers pub, pure and simple, and agree that turning it into a foody pub is ridiculous. although there isn't currently a pub that offers decent food in crookes, so maybe that is their rationale?

if they are going for the studenty end of the market, it won't work because

a) there aren't many students in crookes

b) the places where the students live by crookes tend to involve an uphill walk into crookes itself - walking down into crookesmoore/commonside/broomhill is far more preferential.

i always saw the punchbowl as a drinkers pub, pure and simple, and agree that turning it into a foody pub is ridiculous. although there isn't currently a pub that offers decent food in crookes, so maybe that is their rationale?

if they are going for the studenty end of the market, it won't work because

a) there aren't many students in crookes

b) the places where the students live by crookes tend to involve an uphill walk into crookes itself - walking down into crookesmoore/commonside/broomhill is far more preferential.

There aren't many students in crookes??? :huh:

not enough to support a sole "student pub". the population of crookes is very diverse. fair enough there are a couple of roads dominated by students but otherwise i don't think there are many. you definitely don't get the feeling of being surrounded by students when walking around crookes. go into the ball on a friday/saturday night and there are hardly any in there whatsoever.

There was not many students came in the Punchbowl the ones that did would have one drink and then move onto Broomhill.

The custom that went in the Punchbowl are Crookes people or that have followed Tracy and myself from other pubs from all areas of sheffield.

Through the week I was involved with five pool teams in which have now all left as we have found alternative venues so there is lost revenue there and as for food that is why a lot of the Crookes people went in there because there is no smell of food hence that confirms this was a dinkers pub :loopy:

There was not many students came in the Punchbowl the ones that did would have one drink and then move onto Broomhill.

The custom that went in the Punchbowl are Crookes people or that have followed Tracy and myself from other pubs from all areas of sheffield.

Through the week I was involved with five pool teams in which have now all left as we have found alternative venues so there is lost revenue there and as for food that is why a lot of the Crookes people went in there because there is no smell of food hence that confirms this was a dinkers pub :loopy:

all the best for the future.

i agree with you to a certain extent but the fact that they didn't go in the top shop doesn't mean there aren't any does it? there are lots!

Archived