City Bar / Henrys - Work going on?

Sedge

Henry's Bar opened last night.

At the moment they aren't doing food, just drinks, as the kitchen isn't finished, but they do coffee, wine, continental beers and up to 12 real ales including a house beer from Clarke's Brewery of Wakefield called Henry's Long Blonde.

The list of real ales on last night is:

Leeds Pale Ale

Mauldons Mole Trap

Sheffield Brewery Company Paradise Pale Ale

Castle Rock Winter Rail

Clarks Bulldog Bitter

Frog Island Natterjack

Henry's Long Blonde (Clarks Classic Blonde rebadged)

Black Sheep Bitter

Black Country Fireside

Highwood Tom Wood Shepherds Delight

Dark Star Winter Solstice

Dark Star Old Chestnut

Hope the opening went well.

Couldn't make last night but tried the cafe this morning. Door was still locked after 10am (I'd read somewhere else it opened at 9) What time do you open for breakfast?

All the best for the re-launch!

Couldn't make last night but tried the cafe this morning. Door was still locked after 10am (I'd read somewhere else it opened at 9) What time do you open for breakfast?

They aren't doing food for another couple of weeks yet as the kitchen isn't finished. Beer prices were reasonable for real ale by the way, foreign stuff was not so cheap though.

Hi, thanks for the well wishes - we're opening at 11am every day for the first couple of weeks, until we open the kitchen. When the kitchen opens, we'll be opening from 9am, then we might try for 8am depending on how it goes! :)

I visited Henry's this afternoon. It's actually pretty good and well worth a visit.

Be warned though. Some of the staff are very inexperienced so please be patient with them.

Hi Stoatwobbler - yes, we're all getting to grips with the new place. But we're a friendly and personable bunch, eager to improve and match the high quality of products with a high level of service!

Hi Stoatwobbler - yes, we're all getting to grips with the new place. But we're a friendly and personable bunch, eager to improve and match the high quality of products with a high level of service!

Well I'd like to point out that I wasn't the one asking if you had the correct glass for serving Kwak on Saturday afternoon!

I did notice that it was friendly in there, which is why I thought it's worth bearing with. :)

Well I'd like to point out that I wasn't the one asking if you had the correct glass for serving Kwak on Saturday afternoon!

I did notice that it was friendly in there, which is why I thought it's worth bearing with. :)

We have the Kwak glasses now! They're bizarre aren't they!? - They look like a very small 'yard of ale' glass, if you see what I mean!

From one publican to another I wish you the best of luck with this venture. The Cambridge Street area is in great need of such rejuvenation thanks to the Sevenstones' debacle all but ruining things down there.

I always liked Henry's/City Bar/Cornerstone when I was younger and my earliest memory of the place was when I was in my mid teens and passing on my way to nearby Pepe's for a pizza with schoolmates (which we did every Saturday religiously). I remember a recently retired David Hirst being a regular there and sometimes I'd see him through the window as I walked by which inevitably filled me with great delight. Let's hope he makes it his local again!

Don't forget to post the food menu on here when the kitchen is ready and running and I'll definitely aim to pop in with some mates sometime soon to sample your ales!

Thanks very much Jared. We've been hearing many stories about Henry's over the years - lots of happy memories.

I totally agree about the area being in dire need of rejuvenation. It made such a huge difference just by taking the hoardings off our windows. I do think the council are doing a sterling job with their window displays, but the area definitely needs to see more care taken and more human inhabitation of the spaces.

Archived