SAWA bar, Arundel Gate

Andy C

Agreed, didn't stop people going to Dulo so it's actually more convenient! If people have to make the effort to specifically go there then you know they're there for the right reasons*.

*With the exception of a friend of mine who accidentally turned up to Recloose with her GBF thinking it was a gay bar. :D

Its actually not such as bad location really, majority of buses run along Arundel Gate or High Street which is just across the road and it is the end of two potential pub crawls - in one direction you have the Crucible Corner, Brown Bear, Old Monk, Graduate, Museum t, Bessemer then up Division Street or the other way you have the Bankers Draft, Dove & Rainbow, Wig & Pen, Dog & Partridge, Grapes, Trippets and up onto West Street. As mentioned it is also can be used as a prebar for the Academy, plus the ex Mulberry Tavern over the road opens in its new guise soon.

I believe there is also talk of putting bands on at Sawa.

What does SAWA mean, is it an acronym or what? Hope it does well, we need a few decent bars on Arundel Gate.

I quite liked the version before last - sort of a punk/post-punk bar (DnR bar was it?). Though it was a bit shabby and the cask beer always tasted off, it showed potential I thought and had a bit of a buzz sometimes.

But the next guise, The Circle Bar, never seemed to take off at all. Although the beer was OK, when I went in there were no other customers. At other times it looked pretty empty too.

Hi all, have been to the SAWA a few times, it is an excellent bar that is attitude free, has friendly staff and has real potential. The doorman is really friendly too. There is also an upstairs to the venue so it may not be busy downstairs but upstairs really kicks! Definitely worth a visit.

• 10 months later...

Archived