Fuel's too expensive ? It's actually too cheap!

I can`t help laughing out loud whenever they put up fuel tax and the News interviews drivers at the pumps complaining about fuel being too expensive, whilst in the background of the shot is a bleedin` traffic jam......

Don't you think that maybe,just maybe,they pick those areas to do the interviews exactly because of that..by the way I've done 175 miles already today and no sign of a traffic queue...

Don't you think that maybe,just maybe,they pick those areas to do the interviews exactly because of that..by the way I've done 175 miles already today and no sign of a traffic queue...

To be honest I think interviewing members of the public is cheap sloppy journalism anyway. I`m paying (through my licence fee) to watch NEWS not a load of people off the street being asked their bleedin` opinion.

By the way, just where are you doing all these traffic free miles, my sense of curiosity is positively burning.

To be honest I think interviewing members of the public is cheap sloppy journalism anyway. I`m paying (through my licence fee) to watch NEWS not a load of people off the street being asked their bleedin` opinion.

By the way, just where are you doing all these traffic free miles, my sense of curiosity is positively burning.

Well this morning it was M1 to Wakefield then over the M62 to Hull then back to Pontefract and finally back to Wakefield....left home at 7:45 so not particularly early but no particular hold ups...my journeys vary every day..sometimes I go towards Leicester/Coventry,sometimes up to Newcastle,very rarely any trouble with hold ups...

I`ve just spent 20 to 25 mins to drive from Hillsborough Barracks to Wadsely, that`s not far over a mile. If it wasn`t for that fact I was transporting stuff in the car I could have walked quicker, and I do in fact usually walk.

The roads were PACKED, plus numerous one way systems and dead ends etc, because, and one can`t escape this, there are too many cars on the road.

And it`s only going to get worse.

Bearing in mind that most of the cost of fuel is tax, and if you didn`t pay it on your fuel you`d only have to pay it on your income tax, I cannot for the life of me see why anyone argues that fuel is too expensive.

What should the government do, tax a positive (i.e. work) via income tax, or tax a negative (i.e. roads packed with cars) via fuel tax ?

The answer`s obvious.

But you still get petrol heads arguing black is white.....

It's not that FUELS TOO CHEAP, it's that the governement is putting pressure on motor manufacturers to make cars more efficient. With cars soon having stop / start technology when they get stuck in jams, it will increase the problem no doubt. Cars that 20 years ago did 25 to the gallon around town, will now do 50 to the gallon around town!

The way to get people to use their legs more & not do short journeys is to have clean efficient cars for the greens with regard to emmissions, but also do bugger all to the gallon! :hihi::hihi:

Well this morning it was M1 to Wakefield then over the M62 to Hull then back to Pontefract and finally back to Wakefield....left home at 7:45 so not particularly early but no particular hold ups...my journeys vary every day..sometimes I go towards Leicester/Coventry,sometimes up to Newcastle,very rarely any trouble with hold ups...

You must be the luckiest motorist alive.....

But the point is it`s still better to tax a negative (congestion) than a positive (work), bearing in mind it`s a choice of one or the other.

All these people saying they don`t agree with high fuel taxes, what do they want, higher income tax ?

I don`t.

No way.

I've done 70 and there was a queue at junction 27 and at the bottom of the parkway onto the IRR.

Why do you present it as a choice between the two (fuel tax and income tax). The aim isn't to raise tax, it's to reduce congestion, you're setting up a false dichotomy.

It isn`t a false dichotomy, but it isn`t just to raise tax either.

It`s a win win, less income tax and less congestion.

And it`s cheaper and easier to collect than income tax with less opportunity for tax avoidance, so everyone has to pay, not just us suckers/honest people who pay all their tax.......

• 1 year later...

Well I had to drive home on Wednesday, the Q on Bamforth St was from the top right down to the bottom, and then Penistone Rd was solid from Bamforth St all the way to the Leppings lane roundabout.

I still don`t want my income tax putting up.

I don`t want my services cut anymore than is absolutely necessary.

QED

Even at £6 a gallon, more fuel tax is by far the least worst option as far as I`m concerned.

Archived