Wards Brewery - new bar?

monty789

Its where the MG rover garage used to be. I've been speaking to a lot of the contractors. Apparently the whole project was nearly abandoned the other day because of residents complaining that they were firing up their generators at 7am and some of the residents in the new flats were unsurprisingly unpleased.

But they now have come to an agreement and work is continuing.

Its opposite the car park enterance to Wards Brewery on Somerfield Street.

Are you sure about that? I went up to the window of the unit under Ward's last week, and there was a license application notice up in the window on behalf of JD Wetherspoon plc for 'The Sheaf Island'. I'd say that's a definite.

Surely they don't need one at Banner Cross too?

Could be.

I took this in 2000, looks like work under way. clicky

i brought a flat there in the summer of 2003 and only a couple of months later all the work was finished so i would say its been ready for a tenant since something like just over 6 years. A long time!!

• 1 month later...
Are you sure about that? I went up to the window of the unit under Ward's last week, and there was a license application notice up in the window on behalf of JD Wetherspoon plc for 'The Sheaf Island'. I'd say that's a definite.

Surely they don't need one at Banner Cross too?

yeh its going to be under the wards brewery, is it going to be lloyds or a 'proper' wetherspoons?

not entirely convinced by the area think they could have got a better location but i suppose it fits in with their plan to expand in sheffield and their plan to create 10,000 jobs in 5 yrs

anyone know when its actually going to open?

nope, put back due to poor project planning.....

have u got insider information? i heard it was due to the ex MP and ex Police Chief living in the flats doing their best to ruin their plans

i know they insist on 24-hr notice of any work being done that will cause noise so every day wetherspoons must inform them of the work they are carrying out etc

have u got insider information? i heard it was due to the ex MP and ex Police Chief living in the flats doing their best to ruin their plans

i know they insist on 24-hr notice of any work being done that will cause noise so every day wetherspoons must inform them of the work they are carrying out etc

Ah, don't you just love rumours!

If planning permission has been sought and granted, and they are working within said permissions, which included only working set hours (I think from not before 8am and not after 6pm are what the Council like), I dont see what people can do about it, whoever they are.

Ah, don't you just love rumours!

If planning permission has been sought and granted, and they are working within said permissions, which included only working set hours (I think from not before 8am and not after 6pm are what the Council like), I dont see what people can do about it, whoever they are.

yeh thats what i thought, i know for sure they have to give notice of drilling etc because my dad is one of the people working on it, unfortunatly its 'who u no' in this world and im sure they have links if they wanna try and ruin it ...

... that said; with wetherspoons spending about £5/6million on it im sure they wont give it up, i bet the guy who owns the building is coming in for some right stick from the residents!

yeh thats what i thought, i know for sure they have to give notice of drilling etc because my dad is one of the people working on it, unfortunatly its 'who u no' in this world and im sure they have links if they wanna try and ruin it ...

... that said; with wetherspoons spending about £5/6million on it im sure they wont give it up, i bet the guy who owns the building is coming in for some right stick from the residents!

why? ever since the flats went up (2003?) the unit at the front was set to be a bar/restaurant. Anyone who bought a flat there would have known this, if they didn't then it's their own fault.

Bottle collection has been arranged for reasonable hours and as a Wards Brewery resident I'm quite please to have a pub literally on my doorstep. Apart from the flats that are directly above, I don't see how it will have a negative impact on residents. The flats are very secure and have decent soundproofing, so I doubt I'll notice it.

Weatherspoons held a residents meeting (which I couldn't attend) and from everyone I've heard from, it was extremely positive. I've not heard anything of any ex-police/MP kicking up a fuss. The builders seem to have been making good progress over the past few months.

Archived