Dash to pubs in Derbyshire

suprisestorm

That's the one! Was there a limit on the number of drinks of cider they could serve you. If not, there should have been!

Don't know how long you've been on the Costa Blanca but a few years ago it was run by a couple of Iraqi guys and was known locally as the "Scud Arms".A right dump and then it was closed for a while when a new guy moved in and spent some serious money. It always seems to be doing well when I've driven past!

Been away from Sheffield for well over 30 years but manage to see friends there once or twice a year. Just manage The Rising Sun at Whirlowdale these days.

One pub that always had a disco on a Friday night and with long opening hours was The Grindstone at Hathersage.

Another one-and I can't remember where-had the owners name in big letters on the pub wall-Geoff Hurst (and it was not the footballer!) and I think the pub was The Bull.

We used to venture out into Derbyshire on a Sunday night in the mid 60's simply because the pubs were open later. The Monsal Head Hotel and the Lathkil Hotel spring to mind. Then it was back to Sheffield for a Chinese at either the Zing Vaa or the Golden Dragon on Matilda Street.

One Sunday we didn't make the meal because a mate , travelling too fast, touched a kerb near the Peacock at Owler Bar and flipped his Hillman Imp on to its roof. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt - just shaken, but it's a wonder we survived to reach adulthood. Such was the toxic combination of alcohol and motors prior to the breathalizer. The car, much the worse for wear , was righted , re-started and continued on its journey. From that point onwards the driver was nicknamed " Dennis the Wheel ".

This brings back memories.....

The Grindstone at Hathersage

Stoke Hall at Grindleford

"Whatsitsname" Hotel at Bamford (recently demolished)

Rising Sun near Bamford

Moon Inn at Stoney Middleton

The pub crawl in Bakewell

The Barrel.....somewhere near Bradwell

And Bradwell cafe afterwards for an all day breakfast in the early hours.

I remember you had to climb an outside metal staircase (like a fire escape) to enter the upstairs cafe.

The Lathkildale on a Sunday night! Brian Cook and the Vampires!! Brian sadly died very recently, the funeral was last Friday. Thanks for some good music/nights Brian RIP.

jack Jones went onto have the Dore Moor Inn. His stock phrase as you walked in was' hello-good evening-how -are you-alright'! I can see him now in his cream suit, white shirt and yellow dickie bow! Happy days. Does anyone remeber the Whaetleys that had a cafe in Hope, that later became the Poachers Arms?

This brings back memories.....

The Grindstone at Hathersage

Stoke Hall at Grindleford

"Whatsitsname" Hotel at Bamford (recently demolished)

Rising Sun near Bamford

Moon Inn at Stoney Middleton

The pub crawl in Bakewell

The Barrel.....somewhere near Bradwell

And Bradwell cafe afterwards for an all day breakfast in the early hours.

I remember you had to climb an outside metal staircase (like a fire escape) to enter the upstairs cafe.

Where's the Grindstone? I can only think of The Millstone.

The Lathkildale on a Sunday night! Brian Cook and the Vampires!! Brian sadly died very recently, the funeral was last Friday. Thanks for some good music/nights Brian RIP.

jack Jones went onto have the Dore Moor Inn. His stock phrase as you walked in was' hello-good evening-how -are you-alright'! I can see him now in his cream suit, white shirt and yellow dickie bow! Happy days. Does anyone remeber the Whaetleys that had a cafe in Hope, that later became the Poachers Arms?

Hetty, that's very sad news about Brian. I echo your sentiments.

The following is a post I made on the Bands of the Sixties thread. Were you in the Dobcroft area in the late 50's / early 60's? If so, we probably have a few mutual acquaintances.

"I knew Don Allison in his days with The Vampires (circa 1961) and not only was he an extremely good guitarist but also an thoroughly likeable and decent guy. The Vampires initially, if I remember correctly, were Don, Brian Cook, Dave 'Ginge' Rodgers and Colin Boyman (?) . They were 'based' in the Dobcroft Road area and frequented Holy Trinity Millhouses Youth Club at the church hall. general_head, maybe if you're in contact with Don, he could confirm the line up please."

Archived