Dash to pubs in Derbyshire

suprisestorm

• 2 weeks later...

Miner's Arms at Eyam - bottle of Guinness on window sill for local policeman and

Derwentwater Arms (Top of t'Low) at Calver Sough were another two.No chance at Chequers Froggatt Edge though.

My local was the Red Lion at Gleadless Townend and a dash to the Old Harrow and Phoenix on White Lane and Queens/Swan in Ridgeway was a regular occurence.Never bothered with the Bridge (was it?) at Ford Bottom as the landlady had a bit of a reputation IIRC,not a very welcoming character in the 60s and 70s.

Dont know what era your'e talking about (rude to ask age!!) but I did exactly the same, Red Lion, Old Harrow (used to play in there with a band) pheonix (great little pub stupidly ruined now) Queens, Swan, Bridge - remember the landlady! Butchers Marsh Lane, Gate at Troway, Smashing pubs in those days but like yourself moved away years ago.

:)

Dont know what era your'e talking about (rude to ask age!!) but I did exactly the same, Red Lion, Old Harrow (used to play in there with a band) pheonix (great little pub stupidly ruined now) Queens, Swan, Bridge - remember the landlady! Butchers Marsh Lane, Gate at Troway, Smashing pubs in those days but like yourself moved away years ago.

Hi Mike,I started going in Red Lion in 1961,I was in RAF - not Norton though - and came out in 1967,having bought a house on Charnock in 1966.I stopped going in in 1988 when I moved to Crookes,so I know it quite well!:)

I forgot about Marsh Lane,been in all of them and also the Gate at Troway which was a great pub.The Vine at Mosborough was a good one as well but don't know if they served after time.

When were you going in the Red Lion if you don't mind me asking?

Do you remember Lewis Jepson whose dad owned the garage opposite? (white lane SS)

Well I'll bet we've collided with each other in the Lion.:hihi:

The name Lewis Jepson is so familiar but I can only recall the one S S and that's the one that's still there on Ridgeway Road.Was there another that I've forgotten about?

If you came out of the lion and looked left, White lane service station was straight across road next door to the news agents. Just a small garage but Lewis was well known for his cars (cheap insurance through the garage!) so at 18 he was driving 3 litre capri, Mach 1 mustang, Aston Martin, Dodge challenger, Used to make us all sick, but a good mate!

Going in the Bridge in the 60's was like entering another world. The landlord and landlady were weird, used to give you funny looks if you "weren't one of their lot".

Many times we've called in there and she's had to put the lights on for us as the place was in darkness, so welcoming. She always used to go through the same procedure every night, at a certain time she'd put a bottle of Guiness in the hearth to warm then this chap would come in (a local), her face would light up and she'd say, "Evening John", he'd just pick up his bottle from the hearth and sit down to sup it without a word.

We only used to call in there to see this strange ritual for a laugh!

Archived