Dash to pubs in Derbyshire

suprisestorm

The late Roger Moffatt (radio Hallam) lived opposite the Bridge Inn and used to arrive straight from his show and get completely ratted every night and have to be carried across road home comatose. No wonder he did'nt last much longer!

Nice to know somebody else had the pleasure of the Bridge Landlady Mike:hihi:. I remember that garage in Gleadless by the way,my wife explained where it was.She was born in Gleadless "when it were in tup land".:)

well i`m only 40 but this is a great thread.

as i`m a map freak is the old harrow to phoenix the nearest cross border pub dash??

be a bit of local history if it is for england.

sounds like you all had fun and a raging thirst on. :thumbsup:

No mate,the Old Harrow was in Derbyshire until the boundary changes in 1974 IIRC.The Red Lion was in Sheffield,West Riding and when you walked out of the front door there was county boundary sign just opposite.I reckon the Red Lion to the Old Harrow would be a good contender for a cross border dash.I haven't lived in Sheffield for a few years but the Old Harrow is now in South Yorkshire and maybe the Phoenix too.

Somebody will put me right:D

No mate,the Old Harrow was in Derbyshire until the boundary changes in 1974 IIRC.The Red Lion was in Sheffield,West Riding and when you walked out of the front door there was county boundary sign just opposite.I reckon the Red Lion to the Old Harrow would be a good contender for a cross border dash.I haven't lived in Sheffield for a few years but the Old Harrow is now in South Yorkshire and maybe the Phoenix too.

Yes it is.

Hi actionman, dont know if you remember the phoenix of old but it used to be a great little old country pub with 5 or 6 snug little rooms, always a lovely atmosphere, then the giants got hold of it, changed it out of all recognition and bloody ruined it. Thats progress I suppose.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to live on charnock and we use to go to the Old Harrow on white lane and then at 10-30 we used to run up to the Phoenix pub as it didn't shut until 11 as it was in derbyshire. Or if we didn't feel like running as we'd had too much already we'd try and get a lift. Good fun!!

The Phoenix is still in Derbyshire as i live just down the road from it.

Archived