NIT problem in school

my advice:

firstly, ALL SCHOOL CHILDREN HAVE HEADLICE...

it is totally not just the kids who you "know" have.

there is only 1 way to combat this problem, but please note you will never, ever win the war :(

comb and condition your childs hair AT LEAST 2 times a week when they are in the bath.

my children have always attended "nice" schools and have over the years brought headlice home twice a week, at worse, 3/4 times a term at best.

its the world we live in im afraid, and in my opinion if the schools started sending these kids home (my own included) when they have nits/lice, then parents would soon sort it out after having to take a day off work :)

I completely disagree. In my experience, personal and otherwise, some people (like me) never, ever get headlice. Even through working with kids all my adult life.

My kids have had it inflicted upon them once and we dealt with it with eh very effective nitty gritty comb. Now, once a week we wash, condition, spritz with teatree and comb with the nitty gritty and they haven't had them since.

My godkids had them fairly constantly until we began using a very dilute hair bleach as a quick rinse once a week and sure enough they never got them again either. That's around 5 nit free years now.

If this child’s nit problem is as bad as you think and you don’t feel able to speak to the parents then I would suggest that you contact social services:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/safe--sound/protection-from-abuse/child-protection

If this aspect of the child’s heath is being neglected in this way then other things are probably being neglected as well. What all the reviews of child deaths have shown is that there is a lack of communication between people who have information. Everyone has different pieces of information but it is only when they are all put together that the whole picture can be seen.

i do have this comb, and yes its fantastic.

but it doesnt stop us seeing them in her hair then making us itch all day.

she does also come into school early for the breakfast club, and sometimes looks as though soap and water as never touched her.

i do feel sorry for her, as i do think its down to her parents not being too involved with her, she does find it quite difficult to interact with others and her behavour and learning have problems too.

i just want to take her home, clean her up, and comb her clean hair, take her back to school and see if her mother recognises her daughter

i do hope that something can be done to help her

i do have this comb, and yes its fantastic.

but it doesnt stop us seeing them in her hair then making us itch all day.

she does also come into school early for the breakfast club, and sometimes looks as though soap and water as never touched her.

i do feel sorry for her, as i do think its down to her parents not being too involved with her, she does find it quite difficult to interact with others and her behavour and learning have problems too.

i just want to take her home, clean her up, and comb her clean hair, take her back to school and see if her mother recognises her daughter

i do hope that something can be done to help her

If you're that concerned, you really should report the child to social services.

Some parents simply do not seem to grasp that nits and headlice are a problem. I was at school in the days of the good old nit nurse and one of the girls in my class was ALWAYS sent home with a letter, saying she had to be treated and couldn't come back to school until she was clear.

A few days after the treatment, the lice would be back - the whole family probably had them, so the child just got reinfested.

"Environment" doesn't include the children, surely? :huh:

I would have thought the school has some legal responsibility regarding the welfare of children under it's care. If some children are a harmful influence on others, then I would have thought the school has a duty of care and should do something about it.

Like if one child has some contagious illness, that will affect the well being of other children, it's up to the school to isolate that child from the others (i.e. send him or her home).

That's just my opinion of course, and the actual legalities of the situation are probably quite different. Maybe nits isn't such a serious problem though?

Interestingly enough, my school system requires that children with head lice or suspected head lice be removed from school until they are treated. Same with daycare for my youngest. The children are excluded until the problem is resolved. It may seem harsh but how can a child pay attention and keep up in class if they are constantly distracted by their itching heads?

I suppose all you can do in this situation, grababargin, is watch your child for nits and treat them if you find them and continue to advise them to keep their heads away from the known carriers. A quiet word with the child's parents that you know has the problem might go some way or is there a way you can write to them anonymously?

I would have thought the school has some legal responsibility regarding the welfare of children under it's care. If some children are a harmful influence on others, then I would have thought the school has a duty of care and should do something about it.

Like if one child has some contagious illness, that will affect the well being of other children, it's up to the school to isolate that child from the others (i.e. send him or her home).

That's just my opinion of course, and the actual legalities of the situation are probably quite different. Maybe nits isn't such a serious problem though?

There's a big difference between a contagious disease, that could make a child really ill, and nits, which don't actually do any harm. Head lice are an annoyance, nothing more, you don't end up going blind or dying from untreated head lice.

Archived