Who has intellectual rights over school work ?

Are you saying that the person holding the score/lyric copyright should recieve payment from the group?
Yes.

Does this ever happen..if so how?
See the (edited) above?

Dealings in copyright are pretty much off the CDPA'88 remit. All the CDPA'88 does, is define the rights, who owns them, what happens when they are infringed, exceptions to infringement liability - give or take.

Nothing as regards how much they are worth, what should be paid and when, etc: all that stuff is left to the parties' negotiating discretion.

Collecting societies were created to 'simplify' exactly what your questions relate to, however their use is not mandatory for copyright owners, so, in essence, the answer to your questions is simply "it depends" (i.e. the exact answer will turn on the specific facts every time).

Are you saying that the person holding the score/lyric copyright should recieve payment from the group? Does this ever happen..if so how?

Hi Truman.

After each gig we play I enter a set list at the PRS site. The writer(s) of each song / tune, including ourselves where appropriate, gain a proportion of about 6 quid for each pub gig we play. The pot is higher for festivals and larger venues but I've never managed to fathom how much.

Hi Truman.

After each gig we play I enter a set list at the PRS site. The writer(s) of each song / tune, including ourselves where appropriate, gain a proportion of about 6 quid for each pub gig we play. The pot is higher for festivals and larger venues but I've never managed to fathom how much.

Ah OK...thanks for that...is this policed in anyway or is it a "gentleman's agreement"..? So as well as the gig fee you also get paid for playing your own music?

Ah OK...thanks for that...is this policed in anyway or is it a "gentleman's agreement"..?

I believe that they have representatives who turns up at gigs from time to time. A member of Treebeard told me they turned up at one of theirs once and were very helpful & supportive of "small" bands.

So as well as the gig fee you also get paid for playing your own music?

Aye. We average about 30 quid a quarter with the occasional bonus when we've played at a festival or two.

I believe that they have representatives who turns up at gigs from time to time. A member of Treebeard told me they turned up at one of theirs once and were very helpful & supportive of "small" bands.

Aye. We average about 30 quid a quarter with the occasional bonus when we've played at a festival or two.

The swimming pool'l have to wait a bit then? :D

My Bro is an Industrial designer and teacher. At Uni in the late 80's he designed a safety plug for the infirm. It went into production for a number of years and the Uni owned it with my Bro getting the credit for it his portpfolio, no £££££££££££££££££££££££££.

• 1 month later...

I think both intellectual and copyright belong to the 'child' as children often bring home art they have created in school.Although this is little difficult to answer correctly.

Nice to read about copyrights.Really interesting information.

Archived