Dog advice please

I'm dog sitting. I may be dog sitting for some time.

It's a puppy (6 - 8 month playful mongrel) and isn't house trained. Advice?

Also.....it keeps playing tug of war with its lead and managed to snap the lead last night. How do I stop it tugging all the time? Telling it 'NO NO NO' doesn't work and yanking the lead just means it stops for a second and starts again seconds later. It's all just a game....

I know NOTHING about dogs, all hints and tips gratefully accepted.

OOf, you don't ask much, do ya?:lol:

Get a book called the Dog Listener. Follow it's instructions word for word. You'll be fine.

Honestly, it worked for us. I found that Naya responds best to rewards for good behaviour, not punishment for bad behaviour.

Mad as it sounds, ignoring instead of punishing accidents in the house, but praising to high heaven a poop or pee in the right place had her house trained in a couple of days.

Ignore/turn away from jumping up until the dog has given up and buggered off, then feel free to give it as much attention as you want. This will stop all the chaos when you/someone else comes in the door.

In fact, the key is to ignore or distract from bad behaviour and reward the behaviour you want.

Saying all this, of course, we spoil Naya utterly now, so most of the training has been undone. Be warned!

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Classic Rock

I'm dog sitting. I may be dog sitting for some time.

It's a puppy (6 - 8 month playful mongrel) and isn't house trained. Advice?

Also.....it keeps playing tug of war with its lead and managed to snap the lead last night. How do I stop it tugging all the time? Telling it 'NO NO NO' doesn't work and yanking the lead just means it stops for a second and starts again seconds later. It's all just a game....

I know NOTHING about dogs, all hints and tips gratefully accepted.

Was the dog well behaved before it came to stay with you?

Start it on obedience training classes ASAP.

Get a book on dog training and obedience. Read like crazy.

Have a look at dog pheromones, particularly a study at lincoln university which is still looking for volunteers. These can be sprayed around the house and mimic 'mummy' scent, helping the dogs calm down and adjust to their environment.

call Lincoln Uni - 01522 882000 for more info (if the main switchboard knows what you're on about) or look at this google search result

my £0.02...

good luck, you will need it.

Get the dog a large warm kennel for the backyard, then you will not need to house train it, houses are not the place for dogs anyway. Living outside will keep it healthy and you have a deterrent for would-be burglars.

As an owner of two dogs the lead should only be used for taking them on walks and not for playing tug with..It teachers the dogs bad habits they will think all things in the house are toys..

be playful with the dogs but remember you are the boss of them not the other way round :D

Ive got a dog and i find it extremely irritating. It hasnt responded to my various attempts to train it and does what it wants. All it will do is sit and give paws if it knows youve got something for it.

Im beginning to think that its brain is somehow retarded as it acts rather like a really dumb baby. It pulls on the lead and the only thing that stops it is the nose band lead attachment. He doesnt pull on that cos it yanks its nose round everytime it does which it doesnt like. It still tries to pull every few seconds as it doesnt possess the ability to learn by the simplest of mechanisms - classical conditioning - which has been shown to be the mechanism of learning in monkeys, rats, birds etc, - but its not as bad as the force of the pull on a normal lead.

My ex-dog (R.I.P Juddy - god bless his beautiful little soul) responded very well to training classes and walked perfectly on the lead by your side, sat when asked to, wasnt over - excited and behaved very well apart from the fact it tried to kill people it didnt approve of which was a mental disorder and he had to be put down in the end after a particularly viscious attack (poor little thing didnt deserve it and it certainly wasnt MY decision). I would recommend training classes if you have time as they arent expensive and they are very effective.

I havent taken the current brat of a dog to them though as i dont have time and ive resigned myself to the fact he is thick and wouldnt want to show myself up at one of these gatherings.

Stick to cats theyre much nicer creatures and far more intelligent than most dogs.

I don't have a dog myself but friends who do say that a harness is better than a collar as it gives you more control. The dog cannot get to bite the lead as it is further down the back than with a collar. Also the dog cannot injure itself if it does tug. I used to walk a friends staffie with a harness and can say it does help.

Archived