Do you remember Sheffield groups of yester year?

disleydog

Played in Joe Cocker's band for almost three yrs,"Avengers".Played almost every pub and dance hall in Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster etc;1962 to 1965.Esquire,Club 60,Blue Moon, Black Cat,Mojo,Still have all my 'bookings books'.We played the City Hall 3 or 4 times.Fav: places:-St Columbas, Crosspool, Fleur -de- Lys,Totley, Arbourthorne Hotel when Alf was the landlord, he loved us.Lathkilldale Hotel,they wouldn't let us go home. Those were the days ...Keep rockin' man.!!

Are you Dave Green or Kenny Slade per chance?

Is 'Sladey' still with us? Havent seen him for yonks !! Must be in his 70's now.

Thought he may have gone to the old Barley wine factory in the sky (or more likley

the hot place !!)

I put a post on here a few months ago looking for Sladey, a couple of people said he's still mooching around in Crookes telling everyone what an amazing drummer he is. Sad thing is....... he was!

• 1 month later...

Yes I remember many of the bands names. However, I was playing in a band called "The Tribunes" and played many of the clubs, pubs and most notably the Big Dance hall in Sheffield...... can't remember the name, but it's long gone.

band Members..

John Broddle (Lead Guitar & Vocals) Ice Blue Fender Strat & Green Burns Bison 12 string, Vox Twin Reverb and modded Copicat

Peter Bell Thats Me... (Bass Guitar & Vocals) Sunburst Fender Precision

Bob Lowery (Drums & Vocals) Slingerland Kit

Mick Steer (Rhythm Guitar & Vocals) Hofner Verithin later replaced by...

John Vigg Fender Strat I think later replaced by.....

Terry Vigg using same guitar.

The most exciting thing was getting your shirts ripped trying to get back to the dressing room. Was it the Alhambra? :loopy:Played loads of clubs in Rawmarsh,Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster, Goole, Hull, Wakefield. Famously played at RAF Finningley the week after the BeeGee's before they were famous.

Hope to get some replies, hope someone comes back to me.:hihi:

• 2 weeks later...

Fred Guite anyone have any stories to share and fond memories of my brother, who sadly died in 75. Drummer with various such as Joe Cocker, The Lizards etc. Does anyone have any photos.. My father also Fred was a drummer in many of the clubs such as Queens Road Social Club and Attercliffe in the early days. I have many memories of seeing the groups that went through the clubs, he always got a signed photograph of them for me and I kept them all in a book, unfortunately I no longer have it, what a shame. P

hi busy.P's my husband remembers your brother and father, your dad played at woodhouse central club and my husband steve, and steve saxon played in a band with young freddie. he says freddie was the greatest drummer he ever played with he once came to the rose and crown at darnall for a rehearsal and only brought a tamborine what freddie could get out of a tamborine was incredible. freddie was very wild and full of fun great bloke.