Do you remember Sheffield groups of yester year?

disleydog

hi busy p's no not steve saxton he's steve (bear) mellor . he plays guitar the bands name was penthouse only lasted for a short while we used to have a keyboard player called vernon nash used to play with joe cocker. he thinks fred went with jimmy james and vagabonds after penthouse and penthouse became johnny kalendar band. your brother fred once left his drum kit in our attic for about six weeks until your father came to collect it, think it was a premier red sparkle kit.

Played in Joe Cocker's band for almost three yrs,"Avengers".Played almost every pub and dance hall in Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster etc;1962 to 1965.Esquire,Club 60,Blue Moon, Black Cat,Mojo,Still have all my 'bookings books'.We played the City Hall 3 or 4 times.Fav: places:-St Columbas, Crosspool, Fleur -de- Lys,Totley, Arbourthorne Hotel when Alf was the landlord, he loved us.Lathkilldale Hotel,they wouldn't let us go home. Those were the days ...Keep rockin' man.!!

Still playing , I think. Wasn't always a white fender

hi busy p's no not steve saxton he's steve (bear) mellor . he plays guitar the bands name was penthouse only lasted for a short while we used to have a keyboard player called vernon nash used to play with joe cocker. he thinks fred went with jimmy james and vagabonds after penthouse and penthouse became johnny kalendar band. your brother fred once left his drum kit in our attic for about six weeks until your father came to collect it, think it was a premier red sparkle kit.

I remember seeing Bear playing at a pub just off Mansfield Road in a duo with another lad on guitar must be 15 years ago. Bear was playing some great slide guitar and he had a fantastic voice on him. They also had a massive PA system which sounded amazing. What's he up to nowadays?

I used to follow John O'Haras Playboys in the late sixties and saw Joe Cocker many times at the Arbourthorne Hotel. I knew Alf the landlord, great guy.

Have often wondered what happened to the Playboys, I once travelled to a club in Leicester where they recorded a "Live" album which included a song called "Spicks and Specs" I think. I cannot find any trace of them on the internet and would love to get a copy of that album. I bought Joe Cocker's first album upon arrival in Australia in 1969. We wore out a few tyres driving from pubs to clubs in those days.

I cannot claim to have been around for it but I am second cousin to Ray Stuart who fronted Frankenstein. Apparently he was quite scary on stage. Unfortunately he never recorded other than on Radio Hallam. Dave Berry used to shop now and rthen in our family fruit shop on Abbeydale Road and was guaranteed to excite my mother.