Do you remember Sheffield groups of yester year?

disleydog

Thanks for your honesty G, unfortunately I can't share what I know, as I swore I wouldn't repeat anything he has told me over the last 40 years when he has come down under.

But I can tell you that he regrets a lot of the decisions he has made in the past, and the people he has hurt along the way, he was very sincere when he told me that, sober too.

I knew Eileen very well, I'd love to catch up with her again, I think you should write a book, it would be good to read your account of things.

Edited by skippy

The only thing I didn't respect Joe for....He got Vernon Nash and Dave Green 'hovering around' at the last few gigs we did,obviously to learn the sets.He never told Bob or myself he didn't want us anymore after three and a half yrs;It didn't worry us, as we joined "The Cherokees" together about a fortnight after. They were a club band but earned three times as much as Joe. He went to France and when he came back nobody wanted to know him, he had no money and no band (They were fed up with playing and not being paid) so disillusioned with music, he went to work for W.H.Smith's loading their early morning vans.We didn't see him for ages until he turned up at a pub we were playing (with Eileen Webster) one Friday night. He came home with us but didn't seem to want to go home, We stayed up all night and I had to go to work in the morning, play football in the afternoon and 'rock' a WMC at night. Some day.!!I keep promising I will write about those times as the books on Joe are not 'factually' correct.

Hi White Fender, Where does Tommy Eyre fit into the picture? Did he join Cocker's band after Vernon Nash?

There were two eras of yesteryear, late 50s to mid 60s where most of the gigging was done on dozens of pubs, dance halls, youth clubs etc

Memorial Hall Hillsborough, Coal Aston Village Hall, Black Cat Club, Mojo, Esquire.

The second era was less interesting as by the late 60s and onwards it was mainly Club Bands playing mostly the latest hit songs sad to say.

I saw the Hollies at the Black Cat Club, Kinks, Manfred Mann at the Esquire.

I still play thier music

Vernon Nash is now running a language school in Madrid I believe.

And I worked briefly at Wards brewery. I went with one of the tech. services men, (cellar inspector) on his visits one day and we got talking about old Sheffield bands - it turned out that he was Mike Shane of the Chevrolets.

Not sure if I remeber this correctly, but I think he also kept a pub somewhere out Barnsley way.

I saw John O'Hara & the playboys many times (workingman clubs). One of the best pubs for groups around that time was the Blue Bell Hackenthorpe.

I had great discussions with John O'Hara one night, at a place neither of us should have been (sobering up)