EBay fees

• 3 years later...
They once charged me £38 in fees for an item which sold for £42 !

Please check your ebay fees today I noticed they have charged me £30 for insertion fees and after calling them they told me they had a technical fault

SO PLEASE CHECK YOUR FEES

Ummmm...I do believe that's why everyone nicknames the place as feebay.

I used to sell bits and bobs on there, but I object to being walloped 3 times with fees of one sort or another..first the insertion fee, then the final selling fee, and the final insult is the fee from paypal for money being paid into your account, and not being able to transfer it back to your own bank account for at least 10 days!

Then of course there's all the faffing about, packaging, and going to the post office to make sure it's registered, so they can't claim they didn't receive it. Not to mention customers trying to pull a fast one, saying it's not as described, or broken or doesn't work, or some such other whimsical fairy tale. Nope...Never sell on ebay now. I buy occasionally, but don't ever sell.

In regard to Ghozers idea. If it would work, then what's wrong with taking on ebay? It's about time someone did.

Apple thought they had the mobile phone market sewn up until Samsung came along. Nokia thought they has it sewn up too....Now look at their market share!

Ummmm...I do believe that's why everyone nicknames the place as feebay.

I used to sell bits and bobs on there, but I object to being walloped 3 times with fees of one sort or another..first the insertion fee, then the final selling fee, and the final insult is the fee from paypal for money being paid into your account, and not being able to transfer it back to your own bank account for at least 10 days!

Then of course there's all the faffing about, packaging, and going to the post office to make sure it's registered, so they can't claim they didn't receive it. Not to mention customers trying to pull a fast one, saying it's not as described, or broken or doesn't work, or some such other whimsical fairy tale. Nope...Never sell on ebay now. I buy occasionally, but don't ever sell.

In regard to Ghozers idea. If it would work, then what's wrong with taking on ebay? It's about time someone did.

Apple thought they had the mobile phone market sewn up until Samsung came along. Nokia thought they has it sewn up too....Now look at their market share!

Online auction sites are not like mobile phones. If you choose the 'wrong' phone it'll still probably make calls & texts at least. If as a seller you choose the wrong auction site, you wont sell your stuff or you'll get a very low price.

So all the sellers naturally go to the biggest site, it becomes a natural monopoly.

Ebay is a very well established, very well known, rich & well advertised site. It'd take an immense marketing effort (lots of money on advertising, etc) for a new site to compete directly with ebay.

There don't seem to be many companies with the money, power & the will to take ebay on. There's Amazon, but not much else that I can think of.

Archived