EBay fees

Ebay works, there's no denying it. If you don't like it use Gumtree, Preloved, Craigslist or the classifieds on a regional forum.

But don't expect the number of interested people like you would on Ebay.

My car was on all the above, no interest. Put it on Ebay and it went within a few days.

I even recently listed a GPS unit for £25, stating that the buyer could easily get £40 on Ebay for it. No interest. I stuck it on Ebay myself and got £57.

Perhaps its just that Ebay has changed and isn't suited for selling everything like it once was?

What if there was an alternative to eBay, that is as hassle-free as here or gumtree... was cheaper than eBay etc...
You mean...like eBay was, 10 or so years ago? ;):D

Perhaps its just that Ebay has changed and isn't suited for selling everything like it once was?
It's still as much of a tat-bazaar IMHO. It's just more burdensome to use these days. And expensive.

It's a simple sales scheduling choice: list locally/on niche sites and eventually get a sale at the right price (could be days/weeks/months), or list on eBay (and put up with the fees and risks) and you will get a sale at the right price much sooner.

Stuff I'm in no rush to flog, I keep on here (e.g. the Nabi tablet in my sig...although it's a free listing weekend coming up, so will be up on eBay on Sunday ;)) and just wait for free listing weekends if unsold. Stuff I want rid quick, SF/Gumtree at very discounted price with a deadline at 3 days max of listing, then eBay on short auction period.

You mean...like eBay was, 10 or so years ago? ;):D

Basically, yes.... obviously not EXACTLY the same as eBay, because that would be bad...

but if a site was cheaper, hassle-free, and popular (the last bit is the key/hardest bit) then people would use it..

the "popular" or "known" bit is the most difficult part of a website, but if it's made properly, and is as hassle-free as possible, then the more people start using it, the more they will talk about it, which will bring more people in..

i'm not saying it would rely totally on word of mouth, that was just an example...

I don't think anyone will be able to compete with ebay. They've already tried and failed losing millions in the process. You need a proven working and active model, a track record, nobody is going to invest in an idea. You also have to show you have put some skin in the game, how much money are you personally going to put into getting the website off the ground to prove it works? Otherwise it's just a pipe dream. In 2 years from now you will be no further forward. It's just a dream, an idea like millions of people have every day. I remember one guy wanting to take on paypal with a new payment processor, nobody would touch it with a bargepole.

I don't think anyone will be able to compete with ebay. They've already tried and failed losing millions in the process. You need a proven working and active model, a track record, nobody is going to invest in an idea. You also have to show you have put some skin in the game, how much money are you personally going to put into getting the website off the ground to prove it works? Otherwise it's just a pipe dream. In 2 years from now you will be no further forward. It's just a dream, an idea like millions of people have every day. I remember one guy wanting to take on paypal with a new payment processor, nobody would touch it with a bargepole.

If I had money to throw in, I would have done it already, that's the problem with the world, money breeds money, and the little guy that has nothing can do nothing...

This will happen, I can tell you that, even if I have to make a "tester" site myself to show the model and how it works, and prove that it would work (which I will probably end up doing to be honest)

But again, that's the beauty of the internet, the "little guy" can grow from nothing into a big player... look at how Facebook started, and how long it took to get global... and there was already other Social Media sites out there at that point..

So, i'm still waiting for someone to tell me why it couldn't be done....

There's still some details that need working out, which won't be possible until the site is actually complete, and made...

But peoples biggest problem with ebay, is the fees, so find a way to eliminate those, while still being able to make money as a company is the key...

You can offer various payment options for people, there are alternatives to PayPal, as well as offering PayPal as an option (you'll still be saving vs ebay, due to how listing fees work)

and yes, with the power of social networking, and the internet, you can take a company and grow it at little cost in a matter of a couple of years...

and Pete's point about everyone being so annoyed at ebay, so would at least TRY an alternative, is my point, it's the right time in the market to launch something, because people are so put-out by ebay, they will go to another if the option is there...

Lately some of my issues with eBay have been disputes. One woman claiming she had not got the item even though UPS had her signature on record for the delivery.

She instantly got her money back from me (thanks PayPal) and then I had to wait 3 weeks for dispute to be resolved and eBay give me the money back.

So, i'm still waiting for someone to tell me why it couldn't be done....

It can't be done because other companies with huge budgets for development and marketing have already tried and lost millions. You don't even have the money for development and phase 1 marketing. That is why it can't be done. This is just talk. I can just talk. I have an amazing idea for a fantastic new social app mobile game. Problem is, I need £50,000 for design and programming, and another £50,000 for marketing and even if I do those things, launching my app would be like dropping a pebble in the ocean, I might not even make 10% back on my investment. If you really believed in your idea, you would find the money one way or another or sell your car, your house, because that's what entrepreneurs do every day. Should you do either of those things, absolutely not.

Lately some of my issues with eBay have been disputes. One woman claiming she had not got the item even though UPS had her signature on record for the delivery.

If UPS have the signature, as a sender you can request to see the signature and request proof of such...

They can then email you this (or you can look using the tracking number, and see the signature, and who signed for it)

if it's the Buyer name, you can then prove this to eBay, if it's a different name you can then inform the Buyer as it may have been a neighbour...

if there's a signature though, someone has the package, and it's out of your hands, and not your problem any more, and is something the buyer needs to take up with the delivery company, and not the seller, as once it leaves the sellers hands (provided it's a registered/insured package) it's no longer the responsibility of the seller...

ebay's customer service is terrible. Paypal hold back fees and sometimes hold back and even confiscate large amounts of money for no good reason. There are many things wrong with ebay and paypal, and yet nobody can stop them.

It can't be done because other companies with huge budgets for development and marketing have already tried and lost millions. You don't even have the money for development and phase 1 marketing. That is why it can't be done. This is just talk. I can just talk. I have an amazing idea for a fantastic new social app mobile game. Problem is, I need £50,000 for design and programming, and another £50,000 for marketing and even if I do those things, launching my app would be like dropping a pebble in the ocean, I might not even make 10% back on my investment. If you really believed in your idea, you would find the money one way or another or sell your car, your house, because that's what entrepreneurs do every day. Should you do either of those things, absolutely not.

I don't need money to develop, I could develop the site myself (or at least an early version, enough to go to investors with to show them the model) - you don't need a huge budget for marketing online either, I spent 7 euros on a FaceBook campaign the other day (Purely for testing) and reached almost a million users.... that's like £5, and was only one campaign...

You know what, we have got off the original topic here... i'm just gonna stop here, and prove you all wrong... you watch out within the next couple of years...

Archived