EBay fees

If UPS have the signature, as a sender you can request to see the signature and request proof of such...

They can then email you this (or you can look using the tracking number, and see the signature, and who signed for it)

if it's the Buyer name, you can then prove this to eBay, if it's a different name you can then inform the Buyer as it may have been a neighbour...

if there's a signature though, someone has the package, and it's out of your hands, and not your problem any more, and is something the buyer needs to take up with the delivery company, and not the seller, as once it leaves the sellers hands (provided it's a registered/insured package) it's no longer the responsibility of the seller...

True I did that proved it to eBay and to be fair they ruled in my favour. I was just annoyed they instantly gave her the money back first before the dispute was even resolved.

I don't need money to develop, I could develop the site myself (or at least an early version, enough to go to investors with to show them the model) - you don't need a huge budget for marketing online either, I spent 7 euros on a FaceBook campaign the other day (Purely for testing) and reached almost a million users.... that's like £5, and was only one campaign...

But views mean nothing, all that matters is revenue, turnover and profit. You can't just build a site and go to investors without revenue. The first thing they will ask you is how much revenue is the site producing. Nothing else matters to investors, revenue and profit, how long before they get their money back and then some. You have to build the site, attract customers who spend money before you can even think about going to investors.

True in most industries but not tech. Many sites have achieved investment with a view to future monetisation, rather than current.

If so, they will of had critical mass membership numbers so once monetization was introduced their promises of revenue could be realised very quickly. If you can find someone to pay out big investment cash into an idea of a website with no revenue, no millions of free active members, then you need to find a fool with a pen. In this case of competing with ebay, the level of marketing cash alone needed to stand even zero chance of success would be astronomical. Ghozer says he will just go off an do it. In 2 years from now, he'll be posting about another idea. Nothing wrong with that. We can all have fun with ideas. But lets be realistic so we don't lose lots of time and money in the process. There are a number of kickstarter type websites out there. Why doesn't post his idea up there and ask for investment. If he does, he'll want to be wearing a very durable crash helmet.

• 3 months later...

Talk about rip off ebay!!!!!! I sold an item yesterday, first time for ages. Only after it sold did I realize that ""feebay"" have now started taking 10% of the postage costs. Before I listed the item I wrapped it and took it to the post office to find out how much it would cost to post. The cost was £6.75 so that is what I put as the delivery charge. On checking my fees last night I notice they have took 10% of the final valuation and 10% of the postage. The bloody rob dogs :mad: I have sold things in the past but there was never any fees on the postage. I am now out of pocket. Has anyone used This site and is it any good

I'm all for taking total responsibiltiy for ones own financial affairs and not moaning after the event if you drop the ball in any way.

As much as it pains me to admit a financial mistake, here it is:

I just sold an item on ebay for £379, ebay have charged me $102 for fees and a further £10 using paypal. So in total about £60 to sell this item, and I gave free delivery that also cost me £10 haha.

Excuse me while I go and stand in a corner to reflect on my stupidity lol.

How on earth do regular ebay sellers cope with fees like this? I haven't used ebay for a while, now I remember why.

I'm a regular seller on ebay and its hard work these days. I tend to sell unwanted items from family members and other items too.

Firstly there's the listing fee unless you take advantage of the FREE listing weekends like this weekend.

Secondly there's the delightful Final Valuation fees which amounts to 10% of the total amount so your item sell for £100, ebay take £10!

Then there's the new fee of charging a 10% levy on the postage costs, you charge £5 for postage ebay charge you 50p

Then finally there's the Paypal fees though I've never really been able to work out what percentage they charge for this. I think they make it up as they go along.

I've seen more and more sellers simply increasing their postage costs to allow for this. I try to keep mine as stated however allowing around £1.40 in order to cover the extra costs involved. The way ebays going they'll put themselves out of business through pure greed.

A number of businesses I've used in the past are no longer on there because of the increasing costs so I buy direct from them now, ebays loss!

I have offered direct purchases too if i'm asked so long as a bid hasn't been placed

You've just got to be careful these days and what you sell. I have noticed there has been a decline in ebay sales from other sellers I know.

I recently opened an account on ebid which is ebays major rival in the UK so time will tell

---------- Post added 27-10-2013 at 21:30 ----------

True I did that proved it to eBay and to be fair they ruled in my favour. I was just annoyed they instantly gave her the money back first before the dispute was even resolved.

Are you the same Bladesman as on ebay with the same name or is it coincidence? If so I made a good purchase from you last year - thank you

Ebay and Paypal seem to like to freeze accounts too always in favour of the buyer unless you can prove as you did proof of delivery - nice one :D

---------- Post added 27-10-2013 at 21:35 ----------

Ghozer are you being serious?

You're going to compete with a company that spent $2.4 billion on advertising in 2011 & probably spends more now? At little or no cost?

No surprise your posts get deleted, you've lost it.

With the correct cash injection and advertising/marketing it could work though and the right programming skills of course

Talk about rip off ebay!!!!!! I sold an item yesterday, first time for ages. Only after it sold did I realize that ""feebay"" have now started taking 10% of the postage costs. Before I listed the item I wrapped it and took it to the post office to find out how much it would cost to post. The cost was £6.75 so that is what I put as the delivery charge. On checking my fees last night I notice they have took 10% of the final valuation and 10% of the postage. The bloody rob dogs :mad: I have sold things in the past but there was never any fees on the postage. I am now out of pocket. Has anyone used This site and is it any good

I didn't realise that eBay charge 10% on postal charges, thanks for pointing that out. That's on top of the money they charge for postage via PayPal as the PayPal fee is applied to the whole payment including postage.

I'm only an occasional seller, but when I sell something to the USA the postal cost can easily be £60. The trouble is, if I alter the postal cost to £70 to account for the fees, then I'll reduce the number of bidders as some will be put off by the high postage cost.

There are various fee calculators available online, I picked this one at random - http://ecal.altervista.org/en/fee_calculator/ebay.co.uk/

When you do the calculation, eBay is still a lot cheaper than selling through a real auction house and you get worldwide exposure. It's not the great deal it once was, but where is better?

It is getting ridiculous now with ebay. I've only bought things from it for years now, wouldn't sell again on there.

The thing is it would probably take someone with the power & presence of Google to take them on.

I've had three bad experiences with Ebay in the past month - all down to the sellers listing the item wrong. And they didn't seem to be that bothered about rectifying the situation, so I had to use the resolution centre.

Thankfully Ebay refunded me in all three cases, although in one of the three I had to chase up return postage.

I've had three bad experiences with Ebay in the past month - all down to the sellers listing the item wrong. And they didn't seem to be that bothered about rectifying the situation, so I had to use the resolution centre.

Thankfully Ebay refunded me in all three cases, although in one of the three I had to chase up return postage.

Funny you should say that. I'm primarily a seller however I bought a DVD in "very good condition" last week, received it today and there's more scratches on it than a vinyl record and some are deep. Been told to return the item at my own cost?!?!?! It didn't cost much but the description was way out and it won't even play...yet its going to cost me more to send it back than I paid for it!!!!!!!

Archived