The maw family in Sheffield

Chop28

He's been dead a few years now, but used to be a Wilf Maw that lived on City Road, he ran a coal delivery lorry business with his brother from a yard some where near the Junction pub at Woodhouse.

Wilf was my dad, he died in 1989. He and his brother Horace ran their coal business from a large detached house at the top of Station Rd. hHe lived on City Rd until his death. Nice of you to remember him.

Wilf was my dad, he died in1989. He and his brother Horace ran their coal buisness from a huge stone built detached house at the top of Station Rd (sadly no longer there). Wilf lived on City Rd until he died. Nice of you to remember him.

I remember them - big, dark blue lorry. There was also a coal man that used to live on High Greave but can't remember his name now, seemed very old to me when I was a child, same side of road as dentist couple of houses down towards bus stop

I remember them - big, dark blue lorry. There was also a coal man that used to live on High Greave but can't remember his name now, seemed very old to me when I was a child, same side of road as dentist couple of houses down towards bus stop

Sorry for duplicate posts today, but I’m very new to this, and still newer to computers.

To answer your post denlin – The Maw brothers coal business was in Woodhouse and as far as I remember they always had red lorries (could be wrong). Also I don’t know anyone from High Greave. I think the one with the blue lorry is W Maw and are based in Rotherham. My dad was WT Maw, and the name on the lorry was Maw Bros, coal and haulage.

Sorry for duplicate posts today, but I’m very new to this, and still newer to computers.

To answer your post denlin – The Maw brothers coal business was in Woodhouse and as far as I remember they always had red lorries (could be wrong). Also I don’t know anyone from High Greave. I think the one with the blue lorry is W Maw and are based in Rotherham. My dad was WT Maw, and the name on the lorry was Maw Bros, coal and haulage.

Maws were from Ecclesfield as far as I can remember, but definitely had dark blue lorries

w maw from ecclesfield (now based in rotherham) was started by wilf maw, always had blue lorries, theres also another maws fuels who moved to penistone from the sheffield area, not sure if theyre still going though

I use't to deliver new coal sacks to Maw Bros. coal & haulage if i remember rightly there were base't in rawmarsh rotherham.

w maw from ecclesfield (now based in rotherham) was started by wilf maw, always had blue lorries, theres also another maws fuels who moved to penistone from the sheffield area, not sure if theyre still going though

Cheers MH do you remember the old coalman who used to live on high greave between dentist and bus stop, same side?

Maw Bros from Woodhouse ,always a red lorry, it used to deliver to my parents house. Understand they were a very well known family around Woodhouse.

I know of a Tom Maw, married to lady called Betty,he would be in his 70s now and lives on Windmill Lane. He has a son and a daughter. Daughter is called Carol, forget was his sons name is

I think they lived on Hinde House Lane? The son was called Steven. Tom was the President of the Firth Park WMC for years. Dunno where they are now though...

Archived