Electric oven and gas hob questions

Firstly, using my gas hob yesterday i noticed as it burnt it smelled strongly of diesel / kerosine fumes. Stank my kitchen out and my food smelled disgusting unless I moved the pan to another room. The gas normally doesnt smell like this.

Secondly, when changing an electric built in oven is it usually just a case of plugging it in? Ie- am i likely to be able to do it without getting an electrician in?

ta

Firstly, using my gas hob yesterday i noticed as it burnt it smelled strongly of diesel / kerosine fumes. Stank my kitchen out and my food smelled disgusting unless I moved the pan to another room. The gas normally doesnt smell like this.

Secondly, when changing an electric built in oven is it usually just a case of plugging it in? Ie- am i likely to be able to do it without getting an electrician in?

ta

Our electric oven is just a plug in job...don't know if they all are though..

If you have a switch on the wall to turn your oven on, then it will need wiring into it.

i have a switch on the wall and also a plug behind the oven, the switch just turns the power off to the socket, the gas hob ignition is also plugged into the socket

Our oven just plugs into a normal 13A plug..I don't think I need an electrician to plug it in for me... :)

I'd check it out as the latest regulations may have changed all that........although if it's only a plug in then i think that would be a bit draconian. However, if it's hard wired it has to be a sparky to do the job!

• 2 years later...
Anyone have any idea how much it costs to hardwire an single electric oven in. My oven has packed in today think Im going to need to buy a new one. Thanks

Just a heads up; you also need to get someone to check your wiring can take the hardwiring without running more cable off the fuse box (an expensive job); we didn't find out until too late and had to send our new oven back!

Just a heads up; you also need to get someone to check your wiring can take the hardwiring without running more cable off the fuse box (an expensive job); we didn't find out until too late and had to send our new oven back!

Thank you for that, I will look into it before buying.

Archived