Pirate Treasure hunt....

Remember the "scam" from the early 70's or so?

An ex-teacher in Sheffield reckoned he'd found clues leading to Captain Kidd's buried treasure haul, and went on local/national TV, radio, and in every newspaper going, offering a share of the proceeds (if found) for a stake of a fiver......

I remember going to the City Memorial Hall for one of his shows, where he gave a really entertaining talk and slide show on his "progress"......

If blew up in his face, of course, but for a fiver it was great entertainment!

What happened eventually?

• 2 months later...

You're not mad afterall!

Couldn't find much reference to it, but google ' "Captain Kidd" Sheffield ' and you get pages including the following:

"Another Caribbean location was the subject of a treasure hunt planned in the early 1980's by Alan Marshall, a part-time mathematics lecturer from Sheffield. The story broke in the Daily Star, when he announced that he had solved the riddle of Kidd's maps and was looking for a backer with a sense of adventure and £3,000 to invest in the project."

• 5 years later...

I didn't think anyone would remember this. I lived in Sheffield YMCA in 1980 in the room next to Alan Marshall, who incidentally did look a bit like a pirate! He used to give 'maths lessons' to a young girl in his room and got her pregnant.

He told me he got all the information about Captain Kidd's treasure from studying ancient maps at the British Museum. Just one of a long list of strange people I encountered at the good old YM!

• 10 years later...