Big hitters of 50s and 60s

ukdobby

Most were bullies but here are a few names from the past /ray morgan/mick cowan/albert green/jack hudson/denis hobson/billy and ronnie calvert/mick critch.

I include boxing big hitters.

I know or knew every one of the people named above and Never found any of them bullies.

Ray morgan 5 feet and 4 inches, we call him "the rock ape" now living at shortferry.

Mick Cowan was a gentleman.

Albert Green a hard working man.

Little jackie hudson loves boxing and sport.

Ronnie Calvert and Billy nice people.

Dennis Hobson still a good friend and good company.

Mick Critch died in the early hours of december the 10th, people were intimidated by his size which he would always find amusing, he was at one time Ray Morgans brother in law. Most stories about these people are just rumours or hearsay.

I am suprised you haven't mentioned Bill Lane on your list, he was one of the hardest men this city has ever known.

mick cowan lived next door to me would not hurt a fly dont forget pete smith he.s landlord of big gun in wicker he was a big hitter and at 60 sommat he still can have a go bless him all of them drank down cliff or wicker in the era the good old days

• Like 1

I recall calling at Mick Cowan's house in Ecclesfield and noticing a donkey in his garden. On mentioning this to Mick, he told me that he had seen a bloke beating the donkey with a stick. Mick did no more than take the stick off the guy and give him the same as he had given the donkey, he of course requisitioned the donkey. :hihi:

Was it at Top Rank Suite where he fought Carl Gizzi for the Heavyweight Title in 1965? He lasted nearly 4 rounds against a very hard opponent.

Two guys have been missed off the 'hard man' list, Joe Durrant and Danny Shenton, the latter hailed from Doncaster, but did quite a bit of damage during his away days to Sheffield.

Sadly none of them would last 2 minutes againt guns and knives, but having said that, Mick Critch was never averse to using the odd chair leg. ;)

I recall calling at Mick Cowan's house in Ecclesfield and noticing a donkey in his garden. On mentioning this to Mick, he told me that he had seen a bloke beating the donkey with a stick. Mick did no more than take the stick off the guy and give him the same as he had given the donkey, he of course requisitioned the donkey. :hihi:

Was it at Top Rank Suite where he fought Carl Gizzi for the Heavyweight Title in 1965? He lasted nearly 4 rounds against a very hard opponent.

Two guys have been missed off the 'hard man' list, Joe Durrant and Danny Shenton, the latter hailed from Doncaster, but did quite a bit of damage during his away days to Sheffield.

Sadly none of them would last 2 minutes againt guns and knives, but having said that, Mick Critch was never averse to using the odd chair leg. ;)

I've had some good days with joe durrant, he wasn't in the same league as hobbo and morgan though, Danny Shenton still lives in doncaster, I last saw him in a pub in kirk sandal, him and critchy were big pals.

Some good old boxers came out of sheffield, google Ronnie Crookes, he had a good career and his neighbour Ludlam.

I've had some good days with joe durrant, he wasn't in the same league as hobbo and morgan though, Danny Shenton still lives in doncaster, I last saw him in a pub in kirk sandal, him and critchy were big pals.

Some good old boxers came out of sheffield, google Ronnie Crookes, he had a good career and his neighbour Ludlam.

Well Joe managed to give Dennis one hell of a going over in Nether Edge Hall car park back in the 1960's, he didn't do quite so well in the rematch though, as I recall.

Look at my user name alex, Ronnie used to call me 'our kid', no connection though. He still demanded a single scotch for my 'free' admission into the Penny Farthing, but he always got me in to the specials, such as the New Years Eve private party. I recall Alan Birchenall leaving the club at 6-00 am in order to catch the team coach for an away game, Ronnie reminded him as he was leaving, that it might be a good idea to remove his party hat. :hihi:

Edited by crookesey
my spelling is going tits up
  • Like 1