Big hitters of 50s and 60s

ukdobby

If you fancy a bit of synchronized nipple squeezing, you will find him sorting the parking out at Hallamshire Tennis Club. :hihi:
Last time I saw Joe was when I did a bit of work at his club, he asked me to go to his house for the money,he made me a sandwich bacon and eggs must have been about two foot long,he wooft his down in seconds,think I had about half a dozen bites out of mine,he seemed ok at the time so I was a bit shocked when I was told about him, glad its not true though,he was a legend at one time,the thing that makes me laugh about the nip episode is, I'm over 6foot4 tall and it must have looked a site him lifting me up and walking me back wards out of the door and down the steps and out side happy days.

That's him mate, and still breathing.

Hi Crookesey

Can you please confirm your info about "BLACK JOE" i was told quite a while ago that he had passed away i cant keep up with with any news locally as i live in the W/Midlands but i have been one of the culprits in passing the news on to people regarding his death i worked with Joe and Beechy at the Locarno many moons ago if he is still with us I send my apologies.

What i would call a hard man and most certainly a powerful man not mentioned so far is ALAN KILBY the first time i saw Alan in action was when he worked the doors at Shades at Greystones which was down a steep flight of stairs in the late 60s at that venue i would say that not a lot of trouble ever happened but on this one occasion it kicked off no more to do Alan stepped in and gave one of them a Sheffield kiss and banged the second one out then carried Both up the stairs one under each arm the one banged out was still out cold the one who he nutted came round and started to show off Alan not being a tall man slid this guy up the wall with his left hand and stretched him by getting hold of his privates with his right hand this guy was shouting for mercy as most people who know Alan he is profoundly deaf and took no notice of this poor blokes cries for mercy i later worked the doors with Alan at the Locarno London rd along with Big Joe ,Tony Housley and a good few others over the years Alan also went on to become a well known pro wrestler and champion but was indeed a hard man.

Hi Crookesey

Can you please confirm your info about "BLACK JOE" i was told quite a while ago that he had passed away i cant keep up with with any news locally as i live in the W/Midlands but i have been one of the culprits in passing the news on to people regarding his death i worked with Joe and Beechy at the Locarno many moons ago if he is still with us I send my apologies.

All I know mate, is that he's sorting car parking out at Hallamshire Tennis Club, and I think somewhere else as well, I don't know what else I can do. :confused:

All I know mate, is that he's sorting car parking out at Hallamshire Tennis Club, and I think somewhere else as well, I don't know what else I can do. :confused:

Thanks for that mucker i was told quite a few years ago that he passed away if my memory serves me right i think he was supposed to have had a heart attack on West St so glad it's wrong and he is still with us the last time i saw him personally was in his wine bar with Beechy now that is a long time ago do you also know what happened to Beechy and is he still married i remember him meeting his wife in the Locarno she was one of the bar maids and quite a lot younger than Dave but her name escapes me i also knew her dad and he told me to have a word with Dave about their relationship which i declined her dads name is Brian and i knew him from the old Bramall Ln social club which i went in a lot when it was open once again thanks for the news by the way what age will Joe be now he has got to be close on to late 60s early 70s grabbing old git.

Edited by JACK HEWITT

Thanks for that mucker i was told quite a few years ago that he passed away if my memory serves me right i think he was supposed to have had a heart attack on West St so glad it's wrong and he is still with us the last time i saw him personally was in his wine bar with Beechy now that is a long time ago do you also know what happened to Beechy and is he still married i remember him meeting his wife in the Locarno she was one of the bar maids and quite a lot younger than Dave but her name escapes me i also knew her dad and he told me to have a word with Dave about their relationship which i declined her dads name is Brian and i knew him from the old Bramall Ln social club which i went in a lot when it was open once again thanks for the news by the way what age will Joe be now he has got to be close on to late 60s early 70s grabbing old git.[/quote

At a flying stab I'd say 75 ish.

Thanks for that mucker i was told quite a few years ago that he passed away if my memory serves me right i think he was supposed to have had a heart attack on West St so glad it's wrong and he is still with us the last time i saw him personally was in his wine bar with Beechy now that is a long time ago do you also know what happened to Beechy and is he still married i remember him meeting his wife in the Locarno she was one of the bar maids and quite a lot younger than Dave but her name escapes me i also knew her dad and he told me to have a word with Dave about their relationship which i declined her dads name is Brian and i knew him from the old Bramall Ln social club which i went in a lot when it was open once again thanks for the news by the way what age will Joe be now he has got to be close on to late 60s early 70s grabbing old git.[/quote

At a flying stab I'd say 75 ish.

Come to think about it you are closer to the ball it's a memory thing now a days. By the way did we ever work together i know you did a lot of door work with the posts you send but i cant put a face to the name i did a bit of work for Les Vickers ,Kev Johnson and so on but its all a long time ago now also did a lot of pub door work.

Come to think about it you are closer to the ball it's a memory thing now a days. By the way did we ever work together i know you did a lot of door work with the posts you send but i cant put a face to the name i did a bit of work for Les Vickers ,Kev Johnson and so on but its all a long time ago now also did a lot of pub door work.

No mate, never had the urge or the need, however you guys have my total respect, the enjoyment that we had, was much to do with the door staff. Les and Kev were part and parcel of the times, not ideal but at least local.