Big hitters of 50s and 60s

ukdobby

As a minnow, nay, less, I remember Harry Hodges and Hobbos dad having their dinner in Ethels cafe on Shirland Lane. Once, Harry produced a matched pair of Holland and Holland shotguns, made to his specifications, amazing! It was said that Harry could neither read or write, (but he could count money). Diamond bloke.

As a minnow, nay, less, I remember Harry Hodges and Hobbos dad having their dinner in Ethels cafe on Shirland Lane. Once, Harry produced a matched pair of Holland and Holland shotguns, made to his specifications, amazing! It was said that Harry could neither read or write, (but he could count money). Diamond bloke.

I remember Harry well his yard was on Tinsley Park Rd i also think Old man Hobbo did a bit of debt collecting for him at one time also for Jimmy Childs who had a yard on Carlise st opposite Newall rd.

• 2 weeks later...
Most were bullies but here are a few names from the past /ray morgan/mick cowan/albert green/jack hudson/denis hobson/billy and ronnie calvert/mick critch.

I include boxing big hitters.

what about lol knight, or the lowthers?

I was out with Dennis Hobson last night, he looks really well and is unbelievably fit for his age.

How old is he now Alex? my late Uncle knew him from back in the 1950's, if we are talking about the same man.

How old is he now Alex? my late Uncle knew him from back in the 1950's, if we are talking about the same man.

He's over 70 now at a guess about 72.

He is doing a boxing promotion in Belfast next week with his son Dennis.

I think he might be a bit older than that in fact, maybe 74-75, anyway, good to hear he is still in good health.

And the rest, I'm going for 76, I say this because when I was 16 Dennis must have been circa 30. But having said that if he wants to be 67, who am I to argue? :D