Big hitters of 50s and 60s

ukdobby

I remember sometime back in the 60's, looking thro' 'Boxing News' and seeing Mick Cowan's name in the heavyweight ratings. I must admit I was somewhat suprised. I'd left Sheffield by then so I'd lost track of things. I'd known he was a decent fighter but I didn't think he'd been that good. I'd known him a bit, he was deeper than the majority of people thought he was, a decent guy, and like it's been said 'a gentleman'.

Does anyone remember a kid by the name of 'Big John' Dickinson. He got around town in the 50's, knocked around with Mick sometimes. He wasn't what you would've called a 'big hitter' though.

I remember Jackie Hudson from way back. We went to the same gym for a while. Good lad was Jackie. I remember walking up town one evening and Jackie was coming toward me and I realised he'd had his hair curled. I thought 'Bleedin' hell, what do I say'. In the event I said nothing. After all he was faster than I was.

I remember sometime back in the 60's, looking thro' 'Boxing News' and seeing Mick Cowan's name in the heavyweight ratings. I must admit I was somewhat suprised. I'd left Sheffield by then so I'd lost track of things. I'd known he was a decent fighter but I didn't think he'd been that good. I'd known him a bit, he was deeper than the majority of people thought he was, a decent guy, and like it's been said 'a gentleman'.

Does anyone remember a kid by the name of 'Big John' Dickinson. He got around town in the 50's, knocked around with Mick sometimes. He wasn't what you would've called a 'big hitter' though.

I remember Jackie Hudson from way back. We went to the same gym for a while. Good lad was Jackie. I remember walking up town one evening and Jackie was coming toward me and I realised he'd had his hair curled. I thought 'Bleedin' hell, what do I say'. In the event I said nothing. After all he was faster than I was.

Jackie always looked like a midget to me, mainly because he was usually with Mick Critch, I'm 6-3 and I felt small at the side of Mick. I last saw Mick Cowan at his sister in laws funeral, he looked a million dollars, and then he was gone. :confused:

My dads clim to fame was he was invited to Ray Morgans house for some warmed up rabbit stew,says he lived somewhere near Shoreham St.

Raymond lived just off Eastbank road, forget the name of the road might be something like erskine.

Can anyone remember Gerald mullins? He died a few weeks ago.

John Dickinson moved to Canada in the mid sixties with his wife Pat and daughter jacqueline.

He got divorced.Pat returned to Sheffield in the 90's on her own.She died a few years later from a brain tumour.

As far as I know he still lives in Ontario.He must be about 70 .He was a giant of a man and never cuased any bother.

I remember old George Mooney always being in the Roundabout Bar under the old Grand Hotel reminiscing about the early days and his battles with Shillito who came to Sheffield to rid the place of the Mooney gang and the other gangs who were causing trouble in the 30's.

Could do with him around now to clean the city of the puny youth who think they are hard men becuase they have a knife in their back pocket.

i cant belive noone has mentioned mckenna

Tony Mckenna is still a regular at owlerton dogs, he had a bad stroke about 10 or so years back but is ok now.

Him and Cowan were Bomber Grahams managers in his early professional days.

Mack is a greyhound trainer now.

Edited by alex3659