Big hitters of 50s and 60s

ukdobby

Sorry cuttsie, I'm assuming that you are a bit young for the Adelphi on Tudor Way, are you talking about the one down Attercliffe? (At least I think that I remember one there).

No Pal i mean the Adelphi were the Crusible is now the landlord at the time i am talking about was called big John the waiter was a kid called Jeff who would carry a full tray of stones above his head just to get through the packed pub.

No Pal i mean the Adelphi were the Crusible is now the landlord at the time i am talking about was called big John the waiter was a kid called Jeff who would carry a full tray of stones above his head just to get through the packed pub.

They had a barman called Alan Reid, very tall and thin with glasses, he could remember what everyones poison was, and started pulling/pouring it before you spoke, god help anyone who changed their mind. :hihi:

Alex,Do you remember an old timer called Frankie Barron, when we were in our late teens early twenties he used to call in the Adelphi and Lion selling gear out of a massive suite case he used to tell me he was a handy boxer in his day but i don,t think he was into street battling.

frankie barron ..was a boxer actually seen paper cuttings of him,and programme with him in.if my memory is correct he fought for brit title.he was my labourer when i worked at bsc .he lived down hillsboro´at the time in the flats between the speedway track and hillsboro´corner.his son in law was also a "well known" blades fan that was always in the cricketers(he wasn´t to be messed with either lol !!)

gets a metion near the bottom of this link http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-319644.html

and his fight record http://www.fightsrec.com/frank-barron.html

When you mention Mick Critch - he was great unless you pushed him too far, I remember there was a wine bar by Mr Kites and for a sick joke the gave me one of Mick's special cigars it was hand rolled and made up of two cigars twisted.

Once they where sure that I had smoked at lest half of it they told me who's it was and that he would knock me out... The next time that I was in the wine bar he came in so I decided to go up to him and get it over with. All he did was laughed and said what a **** of a smoke they where and did I want the other one and for ever after he looked after me.

Kindest regards

Michael Jones (ex resident)

[The landlord was John Costello, who finished his career at the Cossack on Howard Street. QUOTE=cuttsie;7724440]No Pal i mean the Adelphi were the Crusible is now the landlord at the time i am talking about was called big John the waiter was a kid called Jeff who would carry a full tray of stones above his head just to get through the packed pub.

I know or knew every one of the people named above and Never found any of them bullies.

Ray morgan 5 feet and 4 inches, we call him "the rock ape" now living at shortferry.

Mick Cowan was a gentleman.

Albert Green a hard working man.

Little jackie hudson loves boxing and sport.

Ronnie Calvert and Billy nice people.

Dennis Hobson still a good friend and good company.

Mick Critch died in the early hours of december the 10th, people were intimidated by his size which he would always find amusing, he was at one time Ray Morgans brother in law. Most stories about these people are just rumours or hearsay.

I am suprised you haven't mentioned Bill Lane on your list, he was one of the hardest men this city has ever known.

Would that be Dennis Hobson off longley if so he was not a bullies

Couple of things i can add.

David Hessian was known as Joss, not josh.

Bunny gray lived on Cricket inn crescent, Wybourn.

That was Brian Gray (known as Bunny) My uncle.

His older brother George (my dad) was also known as Bunny, and also, their father was called Bunny-since tracing our family tree an Italian rellie was mistakenly named Bunntannie by bad transcribing and pronounciation back in the days of old, where in fact, we later found out it was Brentani

Grayface :)

Walking past the top of Dixon Lane today and spied Kieth Littlewood and it brought back memories .

Kieth or Lits as he was known in the early sixties was a very handy scrapper i remember one dance night at the Memo Church Hall dance i was chatting to a lass who Kieth also fancied any way i was tipped of by one of his mates to take an early bath or i would definitely regret it i did and when i pass Dixon Lane now i always give him a nod and think back to the Memo.