Big hitters of 50s and 60s

ukdobby

• 2 weeks later...
So do you remember all those lads from the John O'Gaunt area Alex? Glen Gregory, Martin Williams, David Wright, Martin Simball, Alan Windle, Max Bates, Glen Walker, etc.? Peter Percival as well, but he was from Arbourthorne area I think.

I remember them but the only one I still see is Martin Williams.

• 4 months later...
Big Mick yes he was a nice chap

knew mick well he worked for steve baxendale at rebels rock club ,once saw steve at fiveways where you worked sort out 2 big hitters from norfolk park when he was on the door with a big black fella .it made my pal spew up what he did to those two.what did you think to him ron.when he ran the fiesta he had them all in line

Most were bullies but here are a few names from the past /ray morgan/mick cowan/albert green/jack hudson/denis hobson/billy and ronnie calvert/mick critch.

I include boxing big hitters.

:hihi: Dont go calling them bullies most are still alive :hihi: another one called him mick casaldine or similar of Norfolk Park :loopy::loopy:

Is that Bill Lane from down south?If it is then I saw him in St Lukes charity shop last year trying on some trousers! Bill was certainly the hardest man I came across in the 60s and if you played in one of the many bands as I did he would always look out for you as he loved rock and roll.Once saw him hammer 5 drunken upstarts in the "Favorita" coffee bar on Calver steet ,real killer instinct if upset!
no you are talking about bill lane from sheffield who did a lot of time in prison but was a nice guy and he was the best draughs player ive ever seen.

Walking past the top of Dixon Lane today and spied Kieth Littlewood and it brought back memories .

Kieth or Lits as he was known in the early sixties was a very handy scrapper i remember one dance night at the Memo Church Hall dance i was chatting to a lass who Kieth also fancied any way i was tipped of by one of his mates to take an early bath or i would definitely regret it i did and when i pass Dixon Lane now i always give him a nod and think back to the Memo.

hiya, looking through one of my sheffield past history books and seeing on one page a photo of dixon lane just below the side entrance of woolworths and on it was loll knight just as i remembered him all the years ago, and two weeks ago i saw jack hudson on woodseats iceland shopping centre. still looks as he did 50 odd years ago.

Who were the big hitters of the 50s and 60s,use dto talk to the blokes when I was an apprentice and they used to tell me stories of Hobson and others whos names I have forgot.

Albert chinn was also a very dangerous fella. As was my dad William (bill) brown who knocked out & battered Albert green in a fight outside a chippy. Though Albert and his gang took my dads door off in the middle of the night and hurt him big time with hammers and razers. My old man had not been in Sheffield long after moving from glasgown with brother tommy & all the family.

Most were bullies but here are a few names from the past /ray morgan/mick cowan/albert green/jack hudson/denis hobson/billy and ronnie calvert/mick critch.

I include boxing big hitters.

speaking of boxing Ronnie Crookes was a force to be reckoned with! He sorted all the hard cases out at the Penny Farthing:hihi: