Walter Fox & Partners

gracie

HPA 27 was part exchanged (for the LG45 later acquired by S J Ermitage and since 1998 by me) by Mr Roger Threlfall of Ashton Keynes, Swindon at the end of 1979, paying an extra $ 3'000. A photocopy supplied to be by Mr Threlfall shows HPA 27 in drop head livery. The color is difficult to identify, being a photocopy, but I would say it looks "brownish". This information is from a letter I received from Mr Threlfall back in 1998.

---------- Post added 02-09-2016 at 14:20 ----------

The racing green car you remember is probably the Lagonda LG45 acquired by Richard Fox from Mr Roger Threlfall of Ashton Keynes, Swindon in 1983. It was sold on to S J Armitage who worked at Walter Fox & Part and restored the car. (I bought this car in 1997 and still own it.) The information above is from letters received from Messrs Threlfall and Armitage, respectively.

My dad, Ernest Damms, did most of the body work on this vehicle at Fox's. He remembers it well, and has asked me to pass on his email address. He doesn't have any photos, but does have a photographic memory, and would be happy to reminisce!

His email address is owlern@hotmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, my names Danny Sutton I worked at Foxs a short time 1955 to 1957 I stared with two school pals from Burngreave Tony Hall and David Kent, david went into the rad shop we were upstairs Alan Coup was foreman then but I remember all the names you have mentioned the young and old Charlies,Earnest Bob,Billy Graham but I must admit Earnest was my favourite even though he was always busy he always had time for you.

My short time there ended with me getting the sack we were playing football in the loft one dinnertime and I whacked the ball and it hit a metal cabinet Coupy had just finished and put a great dint in one of the doors he sent me home and told me to come next morning when I did him and Don Fox were waiting to give me my cards.

The guys wont remember me but I remember all of them and am chuffed that Earnest is still knocking around.Cheers Earnest.

P.S.Harry Storer was in the army at the time but his brother David was one of my mates so I have spoken to Harry many times since about Foxs.

Edited by Danpatson

Thanks WWood yes it was Alan Cooke now you have jogged my memory.

A little bit more comes to mind when I got sent home by Alan for that football incident I didn't think they would sack me so that day it was a Tuesday and Sheffield United were at home playing a replay in the FA Cup so I went to the match and got home at the same time I would have done if I had been working," I didn't want my dad to know" Anyway it didn't work did and I had to tell him the next day. HAPPY DAYS.

• 1 month later...
My dad is Ernest Damms. I showed him the Fox thread, and we had a right laugh about the lovely obituaries eulogising about his panel-beating skills and vehicle restoration accomplishments. Needless to say, reports of his demise were much exaggerated!

I know he went to your reunion last year,which he thoroughly enjoyed - his many years at Fox's hold dear memories for him. I'll try to get him to register on the site so he can keep in touch with you all.

Your Dad ( Ernest ) Gave a us ( Me and Thee) a rollicking for " Parking" our pushbikes in a heap at the front of your Littledale abode !

well, it gave me mechanical sympathy at least ...............

Mr D. was ( is ) well respected for His panel bashing skills , nice bloke too.

You had a large collection of Car Badges removed from damaged vehicles that were deemed scrap , bet some of them are classics in their own right now ?

Long time now . Happy Times.

Regards.

Your Dad ( Ernest ) Gave a us ( Me and Thee) a rollicking for " Parking" our pushbikes in a heap at the front of your Littledale abode !

well, it gave me mechanical sympathy at least ...............

Mr D. was ( is ) well respected for His panel bashing skills , nice bloke too.

You had a large collection of Car Badges removed from damaged vehicles that were deemed scrap , bet some of them are classics in their own right now ?

Long time now . Happy Times.

Regards.

Now then you old roister doister! I know you by another name...initials PL?

It would be great to meet up... Mosborough...Swallownest...DARNALL!!!?

SD

• 4 weeks later...