The York Broomhill Grand CLosing Down Party Dec 16th

goldenfleece

I can now advertise this event on Wednesday December 16th, which will be the final night of trading for the York Public House, 1850 to 2009. All welcome who wish to have one final pint or ten in this former hotel and Whitbread/Bass/Stones local. We will be ringing the old York bell and calling TIME GENTLEMEN PLEASE for the final time ever at Midnight, and all stocks must go, so come and help us drink the Pub dry. SPECIAL OFFERS guaranteed, as we need to shift all stock!

Plus, if you want a souvenir of the old York, we are taking bids on virtually ALL of the fixtures and fittings that we own, inc such items as old beer pump clips, the CD jukebox, the bar Billiards table, the games, light fittings, items of furniture, paintings, glassware, in fact, you name it and we will accept a bid on it. Just come down and make your bids between NOW and the 16th December, as after 16th, the entire pub will be cleared of all remaining fixtures and fittings and will cease to be a Public House.

I had to have some earlier threads removed as I was requested for legal reasons not to allow speculation on the Forum that could jeopardise the previously pending freehold sale of the whole site. I should point out that this is STILL not the place to speculate on the future of the site, and that this thread is purely for discussion of the York closing down party December 16th.

If you in the area and not been in for a while, you only have 8 days left until the 16th, after which the site transfers to a 3rd party, so pop in and share some memories with friends.

I had to have some earlier threads removed as I was requested for legal reasons not to allow speculation on the Forum that could jeopardise the previously pending freehold sale of the whole site. I should point out that this is STILL not the place to speculate on the future of the site, and that this thread is purely for discussion of the York closing down party December 16th.

Are we allowed to speculate whilst actually in the pub itself?

I'll definitely be in on the night (it'll be the 4th time I've been in that pub on its closing night!).

It's a shame it's going, but good luck for the future with the Dove and any other ventures Jason.

Like others though - on various threads - I'm more than a little puzzled why threads with any speculation about the future of the place get closed; whilst GF may have restrictions on what he can say, there's absolutely no reason for the mods to stop the rest of us guessing or musing on what may or may not happen.

I'll be in to sink a few to the demise of an old friend - but I'm guessing it won't be the last drink I have in there.

No, you will be flogged and hung by your toes from a lamp post while goldenfleece starts up thread number 86 about his business as he looks on laughing at you swinging in the cool breeze.

Yes, its all academic now, the property is sold, lock stock and barrel....

I'll try and pop in for one. I really liked coming into the 'new' York and it'll be a sad loss.

Perhaps the new new York will be even better? Or perhaps not. Impossible to know with this silly ban on discussing The York which even Golden Fleece now says is unnecessary.

Perhaps the new new York will be even better? Or perhaps not. Impossible to know with this silly ban on discussing The York which even Golden Fleece now says is unnecessary.

All I am saying is I really have no knowledge of the future of the site. The Pub is being stripped totally bare by M and B on 18th December, so it cannot function as a pub, everything, inc all cellar and dispense equipment, is going. That is all I can tell you. All enquiries should be directed to Michell and Butler in the 1st instance, but as they are no longer the legal owners of the site probably cannot tell you very much.

An absolute disgrace to this forum that such a petty issue can't be discussed in public. The York got plenty of thread miles when it opened, we should be able to discuss its closure in the open.

Absolutely agree; there may be reasons why Jason can't say anything, but there is absolutely no reason why the rest of us can't talk about what we think may be going on. And as nothing that was said on previous threads was contentious in any way, there is no reason why the forum as an organisation would need to close threads on the subject.

Who knows what may be happening, but a previous poster mentioned that he thought there was an existing covenant suggesting the ground floor has to stay as a bar; I've heard that too, from another source, so let's hope they are right.

Archived