The York Broomhill Grand CLosing Down Party Dec 16th

goldenfleece

Absolutely agree; there may be reasons why Jason can't say anything, but there is absolutely no reason why the rest of us can't talk about what we think may be going on. And as nothing that was said on previous threads was contentious in any way, there is no reason why the forum as an organisation would need to close threads on the subject.

Who knows what may be happening, but a previous poster mentioned that he thought there was an existing covenant suggesting the ground floor has to stay as a bar; I've heard that too, from another source, so let's hope they are right.

I cannot now stop anyone commenting on this forum about the future of the site. The sale of the site freehold has been concluded, so no comments can jeopardise any previously pending deal. That was part of the condition of the sale of the freehold agreed with the new owners, and legal processes concerning my original lease on the site. Documentation/contracts have all been exchanged, and we signed our part of the deal last week at our solicitors.

I have no information as to the future of the site. All I can say is that no planning applications have been made for any change of use of the site at this stage. However, the entire bar fixtures and fittings, inc all cellar pumping and cooling equipment are being stripped out, suggesting no further use as a bar, and both us and M and B have to remove all such equipment on the 17th of December, including all furniture, kitchen equipment, and all 'bar' paraphenalia.

We are still taking bids on many things at the York, inc the Jukebox, glassware, pump clips, furniture, bar billiards table, dart board, fridges, jumbrellas (in the beer garden), and all manner of items that MUST go by the 18th. If u want a souvenir, you have until next Wednesday night to make your claim.

Typical PubCos trying to stifle debate/comment about their activities. Since they put all their money into property before 2007 they know they are effectively bankrupt and therefore trading illegally. They have not got the slightest interest in keeping pubs open and serving the local communities that in many cases rely on the pub as their focal point.

Write to your MP about this because the Commons Select Committee has stalled on the issues (anyway half of them are probably not "unbiased" - look at the register of members interests).There will be a General Election by the end of the first week in June 2010 - ask the candidates. Where does Nick Clegg go for a pint? - some nice place in Fulham?

Hear the Fox & Duck is also going to be sold in the near future when John retires.

As far as I know the Fox is staying open - it's owned by the Student Union and hasn't any issues that I'm aware of. John leaves, I believe, on Wednesday - so there's double the reason to pop to Broomhill for a few commiseratory pints on Wednesday.

Student Union are thinking of selling when John retires so I've heard

they have appointed a manager already for the Fox and Duck, but what their long term plans are I do not know. The Fox and Duck is on a long lease from Enterprise Inns to the Students Union, although they can buy their beer from whoever they like...

I can't make the official closing down party so went in last night for my last drink in The York (in its current form). It is a gloriously quirky place and it was nice to be able to sit and chat and still be able to hear the musicians in the corner. The fact that it was still quiet enough to be able to do this may be one of the reasons for its closure, I guess. Anyway, I shall miss it!

Archived