Cut inheritance tax, I'll pay more tax so some kids can get a free house

How about if you were funding them through further education at one of the leading universities around the world?

And as the OP said, it is a good way to shift wealth to someone you "want" to give it to rather than have the government take it off you. Sounds fair enough to me.

Well it depends on your view of life.

I respect effort.

People don`t even have to succeed necessarily, if they put 100% effort in I`ll respect them.

On the other hand I don`t like to see anyone getting anything for nothing.

On the subject of paying for an expensive education, particularly when the offspring are over 18, at what point are these kids supposed to stand on their own two feet ?

How about if you were funding them through further education at one of the leading universities around the world?

And as the OP said, it is a good way to shift wealth to someone you "want" to give it to rather than have the government take it off you. Sounds fair enough to me.

That's exactly what a friend of mine has provided for in his will, and although he is single and childless, the recipient will be someone who, in his judgment, will deserve it.

Well it depends on your view of life.

I respect effort.

People don`t even have to succeed necessarily, if they put 100% effort in I`ll respect them.

On the other hand I don`t like to see anyone getting anything for nothing.

On the subject of paying for an expensive education, particularly when the offspring are over 18, at what point are these kids supposed to stand on their own two feet ?

Who knows? Depends what you are studying for. If your child is studying to one day become a surgeon, I guess it will be a little longer than one who is studying Graphic Design. At some point, hopefully, by attempting to give your children the best chance in life, their efforts will be rewarded with a career they enjoy and have worked hard to achieve. I'd like to think I can help my children to have a better life than me.

Just like my parents supported me before the days of student loans. I don't think they begrudge me one bit and I certainly wasn't taking advantage of them in any way.

I understand what you are saying about not getting something for nothing. So getting back to the topic, who do you think should be the recipient of MY parents house or it's value, when they are no longer around?

Who knows? Depends what you are studying for. If your child is studying to one day become a surgeon, I guess it will be a little longer than one who is studying Graphic Design. At some point, hopefully, by attempting to give your children the best chance in life, their efforts will be rewarded with a career they enjoy and have worked hard to achieve. I'd like to think I can help my children to have a better life than me.

Just like my parents supported me before the days of student loans. I don't think they begrudge me one bit and I certainly wasn't taking advantage of them in any way.

I understand what you are saying about not getting something for nothing. So getting back to the topic, who do you think should be the recipient of MY parents house or it's value, when they are no longer around?

Well obviously it`s their money and they can leave it to whom they want, hopefully helping fund a few operations for the NHS with any tax that`s payable......

My advice to them would be spend as much of it on themselves as possible, buy a canal boat, go on cruises every year, fly business class rather then cattle class. Any that`s left over why don`t they leave to their favourite charities ? That way they can feel good about themselves as they sing with the choir invisible

What if my kids have put lots of effort into their lives and made something of themselves...why shouldn't I be able to reward them with my property...?

Wouldn`t you feel more proud of them if they did it on their own ?

I know I feel more pride in my own small(ish) house, because I bought it on my own.

Well obviously it`s their money and they can leave it to whom they want, hopefully helping fund a few operations for the NHS with any tax that`s payable......

My advice to them would be spend as much of it on themselves as possible, buy a canal boat, go on cruises every year, fly business class rather then cattle class. Any that`s left over why don`t they leave to their favourite charities ? That way they can feel good about themselves as they sing with the choir invisible

I'd feel good if I was able to help my kids and their families...

The NHS has it's own tax for funding. I'll be sure to mention your "advice", but I'm absolutely positive that they would feel equally as "good about themselves" leaving whatever they do to their children.

Perhaps you are finding it difficult to explain what the tax man has done to "earn" or "deserve" the money they would take from my parents belongings.

Strangly, I understand where you are coming from, but your view simply doesn't work when applied across the board.