Cut inheritance tax, I'll pay more tax so some kids can get a free house

So what share of support does your lot enjoy?

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 20:06 ----------

The Tories got 21.4% more votes than Labour. I'd say that's a pretty conclusive verdict.

Exactly. As I said, in the end it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, they were 21.4 in front.

Exactly. As I said, in the end it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, they were 21.4 in front.

It matters if someone claims that there are a majority of conservatives in the country. There aren't, merely the largest minority out of people who could be bothered to vote.

It matters if someone claims that there are a majority of conservatives in the country. There aren't, merely the largest minority out of people who could be bothered to vote.

That would depend how folk would vote if they had to make a choice of two. Voting for one of a number of parties merely demonstates a preference rather than a rejection. There are no parties that put up a candidate in every seat.

I myself voted Libdem last time. It worked well for me. I note that they are currently polling around 8% and would be expected to lose further of their seats if an election were held today.

But I'm particularly in favour of the Tory's increase in inheritance tax threshold. That's a vote winner particularly in seats that matter. In the end this is about winning elections which is why the Tories have rather more MPs at Westminster than the Libdems can muster.

You'll like this. Particularly the bit about boundary changes as it would get rid of a number of Tory MPs.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

It doesn't matter about the people who couldn't be bothered to vote. The majority who took the trouble to vote were the conservatives.

Libdem voters who are conservative with a small c... You'll have to explain what this kind of conservativeness means, I'm intrigued. It's clearly nothing like the political conservativeness of the Tory party.

So ignore the clear conservative majority in the UK and especially England, and hone in on one little side point instead. Nice try, but it's easily answered, because I, and many other conservative leaning people, voted Lib Dem tactically to keep Labour out. A significant proportion of Lib Dem votes are tactical, one way or the other.

---------- Post added 04-11-2015 at 20:08 ----------

I've already explained this. Do you ignore the pertinent points deliberately? Does it help you boost your post count even further?

To recap:

Conservative with a small c. Add to the 37.1% a further 13% UKIP and you have a conservative absolute majority, right over left. That's before you even consider the many Labour and even Lib Dem voters who would never vote Tory but if you analysed their actual political leanings they'd be considered conservative (small c).

Also, remember I said England and not the UK, as Scotland and Wales are more left wing. Percent Tory and UKIP in England alone would show the English are naturally conservative beyond a doubt.

Clear conservative majority? You mean the largest minority again?

I asked you for an explanation of what this small c conservativeness meant, and none was forthcoming. I think you're talking rubbish.

Fair point that you could arguably add UKIP voters to the Tory voters.

Splitting hairs about the country... Well, the country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and NI, so that's what I've been talking about.

---------- Post added 05-11-2015 at 09:37 ----------

I don't think this

Most people in England are naturally conservative and believe in hard work, low tax and low welfare.

Is actually what the Tory party represent, even if many people do believe in these things.

I asked you for an explanation of what this small c conservativeness meant, and none was forthcoming. I think you're talking rubbish.

Splitting hairs about the country... Well, the country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and NI, so that's what I've been talking about.

---------- Post added 05-11-2015 at 09:37 ----------

I don't think this

Is actually what the Tory party represent, even if many people do believe in these things.

I was just looking at the Electoral Calculus site. It seems the Tories have increased their lead in the polls. There is also a boundary change coming in 2018 which they say would increase the Tory majority by another 40 or so.

I was rather hoping that Scotland would go independent, but it is only a matter of time. That would take the Tories overall majority to over 100 with the Libdems on around 4 to 5 seats. What was that you were saying about majorities?

You can be as pedantic as you like, but hot air doesn't win elections. I'm looking forward to earning a lot more cash and leaving what I don't spend to the kids. All of it!

Exactly, so let's add Conservative and UKIP votes together and what do we get? Over 50%. That is a majority majority, not a minority majority. That is across the whole of the UK (which you may have chosen to be talking about, but I actually said "England is a naturally conservative country", so if you're going to try to pick me up on a statement, at least stick to the statement I actually made).

All that is without even considering tactical voters like myself, who are conservative but voted Lib Dem to keep Labour out.