Iconic Sheffield "stores"

who remembes the concord chinky on the corner of surrey st and union st.what about the posh toy shop at the top of church st on the right hand side.who had their hair cut at gabriels on church st where you had to book a few days ahead,you went down stairs,before that place he was near newton chambers on union lane.there was dainties sweet shops and stewert and stewerts.Aaaaagh lewis leathers and the georgeous linda!

Beatties ?

Wimpeys on fargate,girlywigg daveys restaurant,Ideal salons on Norfolk Row,Lewis the jewellers on chapel walk,along with Richard shops Lift up your skirts and fly boutique at the back of peace gardens,Great universal took over from redgates in 70s

Wimpeys on fargate,girlywigg daveys restaurant,Ideal salons on Norfolk Row,Lewis the jewellers on chapel walk,along with Richard shops Lift up your skirts and fly boutique at the back of peace gardens,Great universal took over from redgates in 70s

I think it was Lonsdale Universal when Redgates moved round the corner.Although at one time there was a conecting passage between the basements of the two shops.

what about Gowers The Grocers? In 1943 they had 23 branches. Whatever happened to them? I can remember their store on Abbeydale in the mid-60's which was a 'walk-about' store (pre-cursor to supermarkets).

I have a copy of Gowers' "A shoppers' guide for points planning ", dated May 1943 (for rations).

Wilson Gumpetts was a treat for Guy Fawkes Day - used to go with Dad and spend my saved-up pocket money on amazing fireworks, although Redgates was my all time favourite.

Who can remember Gregory's cake shop on Abbeydale - with awesome vanilla slices and Bakewell tarts?

Coles brings back happy memories. Mum used to save her LVs (luncheon vouchers) and we would have a 3 course lunch there on Saturday. Sorry to see the restaurant is now a cafeteria.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Stewart and Stewart - opposite the Peace Gardens. If you had your hair done there you had your own private room.

Sorry to see that Walsh's is no more - what a dump of a shop now!!

what about Gowers The Grocers? In 1943 they had 23 branches. Whatever happened to them? I can remember their store on Abbeydale in the mid-60's which was a 'walk-about' store (pre-cursor to supermarkets).

I have a copy of Gowers' "A shoppers' guide for points planning ", dated May 1943 (for rations).

Shentalls, Cockaynes. Jay's. all gone, and what ever happened to the big Christmas Tree we used to have every year, a gift from Norway or some where Scandinavian

I'm supprised no-one mentioned Stewart and Stewart's before, my wife always nipped in while I did the cutlery buying.

And what about Sharmans on Glossop Road, a very up-market grocers if I remember.

As for the loss of shops, no supprise to me ! as a small time shopkeeper I glimpsed the dismal future 30 years ago when I saw Boots selling frying pans.

What did a chemist know about cookware ? retaling was never to be the same again.

Bob.

When we used to visit Sheffield in the 1950s, we'd either travel by train, arriving at Victoria, or by the 77 bus, and arrive on Pond Street. We'd walk up to Fitzalan Square, and have a milkshake in the Milk Bar there and then, if there was time, go up to Walsh's for a ride on the escalators.

When I was at college in the late 60s, the one thing I remember was a shop at Moorfoot, where we bought fancy dress for Rag Week.

I also used to visit Bardwell's down Aizlewood Road, it was much more of a treasure trove than the new shop on Abbeydale Road.

John

I'm supprised no-one mentioned Stewart and Stewart's before, my wife always nipped in while I did the cutlery buying.
Stewart and Stewart's could certainly be regarded as an iconic Sheffield store. They were always known for high quality (with prices to match) and maybe they couldn't survive the cut-price competition of the 1960s. When I started at King Ted's in 1959, all the posh kids had Stewart and Stewart uniforms. Needless to say, mine was bought "on t' weekly".

The Liverpool-born Robert Stewart established a tailoring business in Sheffield in the 1880s. Around the turn of the century he was joined in business by his son (also Robert) and by 1905 they had moved to the Pinstone Street premises. For a time they also had a branch in High Street. The Pinstone Street shop can be seen in this 1920s postcard view. Here's a 1925 advert.

Archived