Iconic Sheffield "stores"

When I was at college in the late 60s, the one thing I remember was a shop at Moorfoot, where we bought fancy dress for Rag Week.
If this was in a single-storey building, it can be seen in this photo and also this one (click Zoom to enlarge).
I also used to visit Bardwell's down Aizlewood Road, it was much more of a treasure trove than the new shop on Abbeydale Road.

Yes - Norman Bardwell's shop was indeed a treasure trove. Norman sadly died aged 89 in 2007 - see this thread.

The Liverpool-born Robert Stewart established a tailoring business in Sheffield in the 1880s. Around the turn of the century he was joined in business by his son (also Robert) and by 1905 they had moved to the Pinstone Street premises...
That's very interesting hillsboro; I knew a little about Stewart and Stewarts and the family that owned the shop but not the early history. Robert Stewart senior retired to the Lake District and died in 1930, aged 79. I would guess that the shop closed in the early 1960s

J.G. Graves was one of Sheffields greatest benefactors, as a child I was often taken to by my mother to the JG Graves department store which was in the vicinity of the Hallamshire Hospital.

You can still see 'Graves' pocket watches for sale on Ebay (See photo) Like the one I have (dated 1900) that my late grandfather used as an Engine Driver

2ldv9s5.jpg

The 'Graves Art Gallery', 'Graves Park' and the numerous 'Graves Trust' houses are this great mans legacy in Sheffield.

Favourites for Levis,Loon Pants,Afghan coats,scoop neck T-shirts were South Sea Bubble,Western Jean Company,Pippys,upstairs at Virgin Records and Sexy Rexy.Strangely my first pair of Levis came from Roberts Brothers and they always had loads of Ben Shermans in the (proper) January sales.Do you remember the smell of brand new Levis? And then putting them on,stiff as a board(ooo-er)and having to sit in the bath with them on to soften them up and shrink them.I tried to smell a pair of Levis in Coles the other day but the OH said people would think I was weird! I don't think they smell the same now anyway.

J.G. Graves was one of Sheffields greatest benefactors, as a child I was often taken to by my mother to the JG Graves department store which was in the vicinity of the Hallamshire Hospital...
That's right - it was on Durham Road, between Glossop Road and the Children's Hospital - here's a photo. I remember seeing the building (or at least, the left-hand part as seen in the photo, with the name J.G. Graves in the stonework) when going to school in the early 1960s, though it can't have survived much longer than this. J.G. Graves had one of the first large mail-order businesses. - here's a brief profile.

That's right - it was on Durham Road, between Glossop Road and the Children's Hospital. I remember seeing the building (or at least, the left-hand part as seen in the photo, with the name J.G. Graves in the stonework) when going to school in the early 1960s, though it can't have survived much longer than this. J.G. Graves had one of the first large mail-order businesses. -

Thanks for the link, truly a great man in the history of Sheffield.

I actualy bought two more JG Graves watches (circa 1901/2) so that all three of my sons would have one.

The shop above Virgin was part of the Virgin record shop.I remember seeing Gong play a free gig on the waste land at the side of the shop in Virgins very early days.Other shops down there were Lewis Leathers,Bensons carpets,a music shop(Fox's?)and I think a Thorntons.

The music shop was Hudsons. I lived in the music/record shops at that end of town in the early 70's: Cranes, Hudsons, Curtis, Johnson Electrics, Musical Sounds, Virgin, Bradleys, Carlsboro, Pecks, Canns

Archived