Iconic Sheffield "stores"

The music shop was Hudsons. I lived in the music/record shops at that end of town in the early 70's: Cranes, Hudsons, Curtis, Johnson Electrics, Musical Sounds, Virgin, Bradleys, Carlsboro, Pecks, Canns

That's right,Hudsons!We used to hang around in there pretending,not very convincingly,that we could aford a brand new Strat or 5 piece Ludwig with Zildgian(sp) cymbals! I remember the names Johnson Electrics and Musical Sounds but can't place them.Were they on London Rd?

More in our price range were the second hand shops up London Rd and Mr Humphries on Ecclesall Rd where we would barter for old 50's or 60's Hofner guitars or if you were lucky an old Vox AC30 amp.

What about the Sheffield Sound Centre. Originally on Cemetery Road and then moved to Abbeydale Road. It was run by a really nice guy called Reg Bishop who, sadly, is no longer with us. A true gent and his wife Elsie, was another gem. His son Neil took it over but it closed quite a few years ago.

That's right,Hudsons!We used to hang around in there pretending,not very convincingly,that we could aford a brand new Strat or 5 piece Ludwig with Zildgian(sp) cymbals! I remember the names Johnson Electrics and Musical Sounds but can't place them.Were they on London Rd?

More in our price range were the second hand shops up London Rd and Mr Humphries on Ecclesall Rd where we would barter for old 50's or 60's Hofner guitars or if you were lucky an old Vox AC30 amp.

Johnson Electrics was a big shop on the corner of London Road and Woodhead road, what is now Wasabisabi. Music Sounds were originally on Bramall Lane, but moved up to London Road, just past Sharrow Lane.

What about the Sheffield Sound Centre. Originally on Cemetery Road and then moved to Abbeydale Road. It was run by a really nice guy called Reg Bishop who, sadly, is no longer with us. A true gent and his wife Elsie, was another gem. His son Neil took it over but it closed quite a few years ago.

What was the hi-fi shop at the bottom of Ecclesall road near/oppsite the Devonshire Arms. From memory it was two units in a terrace separated by a couple of houses and a chippie.

What was the hi-fi shop at the bottom of Ecclesall road near/oppsite the Devonshire Arms. From memory it was two units in a terrace separated by a couple of houses and a chippie.
A 1970s directory has Reg. Bishop's "Sheffield Sound Centre" at 101a Ecclesall Road (on the corner of Harrow Street), while three doors away at 107 Ecclesall Road is "Rocket Discount HiFi".

Johnson Electrics was a big shop on the corner of London Road and Woodhead road, what is now Wasabisabi. Music Sounds were originally on Bramall Lane, but moved up to London Road, just past Sharrow Lane.

Before they were on London Road, Johnson Electrics had a much smaller shop in the Berkley Precent on Ecclesall Road - I worked there for a short time in teh early 70's. Used to get a lot of the WMC acts in for their mikes and amps.

All the really expensive guitars (Srats, Gibsons etc) were hung up at the rear of the shop, for obvious reasons. One day a really scruffy, tramp like guy walked in and asked to play a Fender - we were all a bit doubtful, and Phil the manager made sure he was watched at all times - all gobsmacked when he drew £200 odd quid out of pocket and asked if it came with a case!

Before they were on London Road, Johnson Electrics had a much smaller shop in the Berkley Precent on Ecclesall Road - I worked there for a short time in teh early 70's. Used to get a lot of the WMC acts in for their mikes and amps.

All the really expensive guitars (Srats, Gibsons etc) were hung up at the rear of the shop, for obvious reasons. One day a really scruffy, tramp like guy walked in and asked to play a Fender - we were all a bit doubtful, and Phil the manager made sure he was watched at all times - all gobsmacked when he drew £200 odd quid out of pocket and asked if it came with a case!

I remember Johnson Electrics on Berkeley precinct in the early eighties, My ex used to take our ZX spectrum there for repairs when the power supply would "blow" because I could never remember whether it was unplugging it with the power on, or plugging it in with the power on, that made it blow up. (well, I am blonde!)

i used to live at greystones when i was a kid and near the challenge supermarket there was a sports shop called big brown bear,i remember it was a big thing getting a new coloured tennis ball on a friday

wasnt it the yogi bear sports shop? i had a yogi from there and cried for weeks when i lost it on holiday :(

Archived