Iconic Sheffield "stores"

It's not often that Hilsbro is wrong,and infact he's nearly right but I think the shop was called Southsea Bubble.

Nope - definitely Bubble 'n' Squeak (at least, that's the early 1970s shop that jack reacher referred to, as per the Kelly's Directory link in Hillsbro's post #21). In fact think I still have a couple of shirts I bought there, as well as a pair of rather snazzy slacks, but I don't suppose they'd go well with my grey hair now…:(

Nope - definitely Bubble 'n' Squeak (at least, that's the early 1970s shop that jack reacher referred to, as per the Kelly's Directory link in Hillsbro's post #21). In fact think I still have a couple of shirts I bought there, as well as a pair of rather snazzy slacks, but I don't suppose they'd go well with my grey hair now…:(

I see what you're saying and I hesitate to question Kellys,but if it's the shop I'm thinking of I remember it being called Southsea Bubble.I'm talking about a shop round the corner from the Nelson and opposite the far end of Allied Carpets where we used to buy Loon Pants and cheesecloth shirts.I remember the name because,during history at school,we covered the South Sea Bubble and I remember thinking "That's the name of that clothes shop in town where we get those non-regulation school trousers!"It proved to be a useful revision aid! I know this all sounds bizarre, but I base my claim on a successful O-level pass!

Maybe there were two different shops. The location suggested by shanes teeth, round the corner from the Nelson and opposite Allied Carpets would be somewhere around No 44 Union Street, while Kelly's places Bubble 'n' Squeak at No 26, not far from the junction with Charles Street. I guess we need more directories!

I failed 'O' level history miserably....:(

Archived