Iconic Sheffield "stores"

what about virgin records at bottom of the moor

There was a shop above Virgin that sold kind of hippie clothing and stuff which my mum and dad used to go to (my dad still has some patchouli essence he got from there in the early 70s - not that he wears it now!). When they've told me about this shop in the past though, neither of them can remember if it was a seperate shop or just tied in with the Virgin record shop below. Do you know by any chance?

who remembes the concord chinky on the corner of surrey st and union st.what about the posh toy shop at the top of church st on the right hand side.who had their hair cut at gabriels on church st where you had to book a few days ahead,you went down stairs,before that place he was near newton chambers on union lane.there was dainties sweet shops and stewert and stewerts.Aaaaagh lewis leathers and the georgeous linda!

for me

redgates

for my music

rare and racy, kennys records, hitsville, record collector, bradleys records, play it again, amazing records, our price, jacks records, virgin (down the bottom of the high street) and a few ive forgotten the names of oops

there was one record shop on the gallery over the markets, there was smiffys (goth place) there was one up the road from the wap opposite cole bros, had to go up some stairs

then there was pippys, the peace shop (over looking whats now the magic roundabout), the independent bookshop............and for my computer games there was just micro

ahhhh those were the days

and a few ive forgotten the names of oops

there was one record shop on the gallery over the markets,

That was Revolution Records, a brilliant place.

Can you remember the name of the Record Shop opposite Coles on Cambridge Street? It has been knocked down now, but I seem to recall it going back for what seemed like forever.

Harringtons (Ben Shermans and two tone stayprest ,,,now i feel old lol)....and Sheffield United Tours ..... they were two of the shops I remember being across the road from the Castle market, before they built the magistrates courts.

That was Revolution Records, a brilliant place.

Can you remember the name of the Record Shop opposite Coles on Cambridge Street? It has been knocked down now, but I seem to recall it going back for what seemed like forever.

there nwas amazing records, where i bought my first punk singles (crass - reality asylum, GBH - sick boy) which if i remember rightly was a few doors up from henrys (sort of middle), then later on there was one on the end at the top (up some stairs, was clothing and records..........a guy i knew from college ran it, think he went to spain to work later) - that shop bit was turned into a car park mid 90s i think

...Can you remember the name of the Record Shop opposite Coles on Cambridge Street? It has been knocked down now, but I seem to recall it going back for what seemed like forever.
I think it was called Impulse. In 1985-86 I was able to buy some really hard-to-get rock LPs there - a great shop.

Wilson Gumpert's !!! Hills. you must be in line for the double winter fuel handout never mind the free telly !

My dad was a model railway builder so we knew about them. His first job when he left school was at Cole Brothers on the Fargate door helping the ladies out of their carriages.

If that is too mind bending a thought what about Coles' retaurant on the top floor with the bar stools and lunch for 7/6. When it went up to 8/6 I decided I could'nt afford it anymore. But as an impressionable young man in my Daks suit I felt I was somewhere special.

Nowadays I struggle to afford a bar lunch let alone a Daks suit !

Is'nt hindsight and reflection a wonderful thing.

Bob.

Wilson Gumpert's !!! Hills. you must be in line for the double winter fuel handout never mind the free telly!

Hmmmm.... Well, I'll admit to a (single) fuel handout and a bus pass but I haven't yet joined the free-telly club..:P

Wilson Gumpert's must have closed in the 1960s. They always had a wonderful display of toys - unaffordable of course, but it was nice just to stand with your nose pressed against the window and look at, for example, the huge Meccano models on display, and the Bing model trains (made in Germany - the German-born Ernst Gumpert was originally a sales rep. in Sheffield). The shop had its own short thread last year.

...what about Coles' restaurant on the top floor with the bar stools and lunch for 7/6...
Yes indeed - also Davy's café in Fargate and the milk bar in Pinstone Street.

what about davy's mikado , and not forgetting the "flapjack bar " ( pigs in a blanket ) & snig hill special (pancake & ice cream mmmmm! ) and the "centre spot" cafe at the top of snig hill, days gone by !! long but not forgotten , and before i go , " hopkinsons capri " !!

Archived