Iconic Sheffield "stores"

Bunneys was the in place in the late fifties, the first place you could buy tight jeans, black one's with green stitching and fancy shirts, back in the days when if you wore trousers with 16" bottoms you were classed as a "Teddy boy"

The "in" shop for flash jackets and tight trousers was the tailors Fred Burns on the High street,

and for furniture if you wanted a three piece suite try Jay's at the moor head..

For records it was Canns on Dixon lane,and because the latest rock and roll music wasn't often played on radio then you could listen to a record before you bought it in a little telephone box size sound proof booth..

Yes, it was there until about the late 1960s when the building (opposite the end of Ellin Street) was demolished - here's a photo.

Goodphoto, Hillsboro. That would have to have been down toward the bottom of the Moor, I think. Anywhere near the Locarno? And opposite the stores, there's an open section with what looks like a bit of a canopy. Where the streetlamp and the guy with the shopping bag is. Is that a bus stop? Also, as we look at the photo is the bottom of the Moor to the left and the top to the right?

Goodphoto, Hillsboro. That would have to have been down toward the bottom of the Moor, I think. Anywhere near the Locarno? And opposite the stores, there's an open section with what looks like a bit of a canopy. Where the streetlamp and the guy with the shopping bag is. Is that a bus stop? Also, as we look at the photo is the bottom of the Moor to the left and the top to the right?

Yes, it was at the bottom of the Moor, between Young Street and the corner of Ecclesall Road which is just out of sight to the left of the photo. I don't think there would have been a bus stop so close to the pedestrian crossing; it might be a NO ENTRY sign behind the man with the shopping bag - I seem to think Ellin Street was one-way from Hereford Street to the Moor. What looks like a canopy at the right-hand side is, I think, the strip-lighting for a large advertising hoarding that stood on the corner of Ellin Street - it can be seen in this 1950s photo taken from just across the Moor. This photo also shows Lamb's drapers' shop - James Lamb, a native of Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland, had moved to Sheffield and opened a shop on the corner of Ellin Street as early as the 1880s. He prospered, bought the neighbouring land and built the premises visible in the photo. An earlier photo shows Lamb's building at the extreme right - the tramlines in the foreground curve to the left towards Ecclesall Road. On the corner at the far left can be seen part of Sawer's sweet shop (click on "Zoom" to enlarge as with all these photos). Shepherd Sawer's business was almost as old as Lambs - the shop opened in the 1890s.

Needless to say, all these buildings disappeared when the land was cleared for the Manpower Services Commission building in the 1970s (if not before).

Bunneys was the in place in the late fifties, the first place you could buy tight jeans, black one's with green stitching and fancy shirts, back in the days when if you wore trousers with 16" bottoms you were classed as a "Teddy boy"

The "in" shop for flash jackets and tight trousers was the tailors Fred Burns on the High street,

and for furniture if you wanted a three piece suite try Jay's at the moor head..

For records it was Canns on Dixon lane,and because the latest rock and roll music wasn't often played on radio then you could listen to a record before you bought it in a little telephone box size sound proof booth..

Loved Canns the Music Man, and talking of Bunneys with the "drainpipe trousers in black man-made stuff" wasn't there Colvins on Snig Hill which did great shirts etc? For fags it was Sylvesters by the Town Hall, Sobranie Black Russian if you were flush or Passing Clouds.

There was a shop above Virgin that sold kind of hippie clothing and stuff which my mum and dad used to go to (my dad still has some patchouli essence he got from there in the early 70s - not that he wears it now!). When they've told me about this shop in the past though, neither of them can remember if it was a seperate shop or just tied in with the Virgin record shop below. Do you know by any chance?

Hi Jen

Hows it going ?

Not certain if its the same shop, but there was one like you are describing and it was called Pippy's, just up a side street at the top of the Moor

My OH has been on a trip down memory lane with this - but can't remember the name of the shop on Infirmary Road (think opposite where Tesco's is now) that used to sell Dr Martens boots? He well remembers his red boots and oxblood to keep them red - can anyone remember the store?

Also, do you remember Sugarmans from the rag & tag market who used to sell crockery & pots, they then went to a shop in Exchange Place - what other shops were on there?

Archived