What do Atheists think happens when you die ?

I know a few people like that, and I have also learned to just let them be. I would imagine it being more of a coping mechanism than anything else, but that's only my opinion.:)

It didn't make this lady feel good.

-------------------

Elizabeth Cady-Stanton on suppression

"The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstitions of the Christian religion."

"The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation."

"The bible teaches that woman brought sin and death into the world, that she precipitated the fall of the race, that she was arraigned before the judgment seat of Heaven, tried, condemned and sentenced. Marriage for her was to be a condition of bondage, maternity a period of suffering and anguish, and in silence and subjection, she was to play the role of a dependent on man's bounty for all her material wants, and for all the information she might desire...Here is the Bible position of woman briefly summed up."

She wrote of the Bible, "I found nothing grand in the history of the Jews nor in the morals inculcated in the Pentateuch. Surely the writers had a very low idea of the nature of their god. They made him not only anthropomorphic, but of the very lowest type, jealous and revengeful, loving violence rather than mercy. I know of no other books that so fully teach the subjection and degradation of women." [Women Without Superstition]

- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, American suffragist (1815-1902).

Normally I let these things go, Jobee, but you are putting forward a long held and at the very least, debatable view of Christianity.

(1) Women's emancipation. Ms Cady Stanton's view is a frequently held one. But given that women were witnesses to the death and the first witnesses to Jesus resurrection in a society that held women's testimony to be of no value, this was radical then and helps to refute this belief. You might wish to look up Lydia in Acts (a cloth trader who hosted a church in her house), Priscilla (also one of the early church ministers) and many others.

(2) If you look up Romans 5 the bible teaches that it was through the man that sin and death came about. Ms Stanton is just plain wrong - "Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin..."

(3) Not sure where to start with the last point, but the Bible does say this (it's in Galatians 3 if you want to look it up) "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus".

You might think the Bible is a load of old rubbish, and it's your prerogative to do that, but untruthful reporting of what it says is not helpful. I hope I've not been unkind in pointing this out.

Normally I let these things go, Jobee, but you are putting forward a long held and at the very least, debatable view of Christianity.

(1) Women's emancipation. Ms Cady Stanton's view is a frequently held one. But given that women were witnesses to the death and the first witnesses to Jesus resurrection in a society that held women's testimony to be of no value, this was radical then and helps to refute this belief. You might wish to look up Lydia in Acts (a cloth trader who hosted a church in her house), Priscilla (also one of the early church ministers) and many others.

Yeah the bible is practically a radical feminist text :roll:

Genisis 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

1 Corinthians 14:34-36 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

1 Peter 3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

The presence of women at a few points in the narrative of the gospels doesn't even counterbalance never mind outweigh all the times in the bible when it is clearly misogynistic in what unambiguously says.

(2) If you look up Romans 5 the bible teaches that it was through the man that sin and death came about. Ms Stanton is just plain wrong - "Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin..."

1 Timothy 2:11-15 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing.

(3) Not sure where to start with the last point, but the Bible does say this (it's in Galatians 3 if you want to look it up) "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus".

You might think the Bible is a load of old rubbish, and it's your prerogative to do that, but untruthful reporting of what it says is not helpful. I hope I've not been unkind in pointing this out.

Yes it's just "untruthful" for Ms Stanton to describe the god of the bible as "jealous and revengeful, loving violence rather than mercy". I mean it's not like the bible has him threatening to take violent revenge upon not just those who worship other gods but their children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and great great grandchildren or anything is it?

Exodus 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

I appreciate that, but believing in the spirits of dead people and accepting that after death, the human soul can return in another body, yet dismissing the existance of god/s:confused:

What's so confusing about people believing in some but not all of the fanciful supernatural notions people have dreamt up over the millennia?

Once people leave the evidence behind and put their faith in magic anything goes.

What's so confusing about people believing in some but not all of the fanciful supernatural notions people have dreamt up over the millennia?

Once people leave the evidence behind and put their faith in magic anything goes.

That's a very fair point, but when all is said and done, the majority of "SF atheists" don't take that slant when they're knocking the existance of god/s. They usually adopt the Dawkins view, branding it unsubstanciated nonesense unsupported by any credible evidence. So "Those atheists" would be an hypocrite in my book.

That's a very fair point, but when all is said and done, the majority of "SF atheists" don't take that slant when they're knocking the existance of god/s. They usually adopt the Dawkins view, branding it unsubstanciated nonesense unsupported by any credible evidence. So "Those atheists" would be an hypocrite in my book.

:huh: Why would it be hypocritical to believe in ghosts or reincarnation but not gods?

So far as I'm aware there's nothing inherent in the concept of ghosts or reincarnation which requires a parallel belief in deities to be internally consistent. So it's not hypocritical so be a atheist who beliefs in ghosts so long as you don't criticise others for having baseless beliefs.

Any atheists who criticised theists for having fanciful beliefs whilst themselves having similarly baseless magical beliefs would be a hypocrites but I'm not aware of any such posters on SF. The atheists on here seem to be generally materialist/sceptical/naturalistic... when it comes to gods, ghosts, fairies, astrology... and so in no way hypocritical.

The 'new atheist' movement is in reality a more generalised sceptical/materialist/naturalist movement and opposed to 'woo-woo' of all kinds. The atheist stuff just gets much more press than the rest as religions are by some distance the most powerful and established purveyors of woo that have grown used to being protected from criticism in ways most other woo merchants can only dream of.

Yeah the bible is practically a radical feminist text :roll:

Genisis 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

1 Corinthians 14:34-36 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

1 Peter 3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

The presence of women at a few points in the narrative of the gospels doesn't even counterbalance never mind outweigh all the times in the bible when it is clearly misogynistic in what unambiguously says.

1 Timothy 2:11-15 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing.

Yes it's just "untruthful" for Ms Stanton to describe the god of the bible as "jealous and revengeful, loving violence rather than mercy". I mean it's not like the bible has him threatening to take violent revenge upon not just those who worship other gods but their children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and great great grandchildren or anything is it?

Exodus 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

thank you for that-i always thought 'humanists'know more about the bible than christians

Archived